Menu

Early elementary lit -- Does this exist?

TinaBlue

DS (2nd grade in the fall) loves the narration parts of WWE. I'd like to add something next year for literature that would allow us to read poems, short stories, and excerpts and discuss them.

(I guess I'm remembering the textbook approach from my own elementary years, but when I look at them now, the selections don't always seem as interesting as those in WWE.)

Is there anything like this with really great selections? Or I guess I could just use textbooks and let him pick and choose what piques his interest?

Mosdos Press - I believe starts in 3rd grade.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=6&category=953

Lightning Lit - has grade 1, I thought that they had grade 2 finished, but not sure.

https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Elem/eLightning.aspx

I have not used either program above, but have looked at them several times.  Usually I just bring my children to the library and let them pick out what they want to read, with some influential suggestions.

Not an actual literature course, but we've found that content in older children's anthologies. Collier's Junior Classics is great for that age! I've been reading volume one to my five year old lately. It's a delicious blend of children's rhymes, classic fairy tales, poetry, and short stories. 

My Book House is another good one, The Children's Hour, and the first volume or two of Journeys Through Bookland (they get progressively more challenging).  Here's an old thread discussing and comparing them.

• Like 1