Menu

Is there a book for this or do I have to accept that I need to read a lot MORE?

I have been reading about older methods of education for our children in literature. I am sooo behind. There are great ideas using really solid books (books used for older children today) that incorporate great ways to make comparisons and thought-provoking questions. For example, read the story of Pegasus from Tanglewood Tales and then read Longfellow's Pegasus in Pound. Or read about King Midas from Tanglewood Tales and then read Ruskin's King of the Golden River and compare the two kings. I don't have the background knowledge in literature to make these connections and then to be able to teach this way to my children.

Are there any resources that set literature up this way or do I need to read a lot more and take notes and put this together myself?

The longer I homeschool and the older my older dd gets the less I know!!:confused:

Any suggestions? I really want to be a better teacher.

P.S. These examples refer to elementary aged children but the problem I'm having holds true especially for the upper years.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Kfamily

Ooh, good question! Here's one I found on Amazon (never seen it though).

http://www.amazon.com/Retellings-Literature-Anthology-Arlene-Clarke/dp/0072414693/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223167884&sr=8-27

If you read the description it has different versions of the same story. IT also groups books according to theme. I think I may have to get this.

If you want to see if a library near you has a given book, you can use the following link to WorldCat; you'll need to enter the isbn of the book and later your zipcode. If no library near you has the book, you could see if your library can get it through interlibrary loan. I see 27 libraries in the US and Canada have the book.

Regards,

Kareni