Menu

Graduate School - Not-for-profit or for-profit?

Liz CA

Is there really a difference in the quality of the material taught? Anything else I should know about these two options?

I am wrestling around between 2-3 options to continue and the most appealing one is a for-profit university.

In case, someone knows specifics, the university in question is Cal Southern.

The most important thing when looking at a for-profit school is understanding their accreditation. Regional accreditation is the most important, and luckily, it looks like Cal Southern is regionally accredited (by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission). 

You also want to consider how those in your field would look upon that degree. For example, if you were going into Psychology, I can't say that too many PhD programs, laboratories, or other Psychology-related employment places would see the degree as sufficient. This is because Cal Southern is entirely online (no brick and mortar school). At least with a brick and mortar school that offers online degrees, the degree doesn't distinguish whether it was done on campus or online. With a school that only offers online degrees, however, that will be obvious to future employers. 

Does Cal Southern set up internships/assistantships/research opportunities? What's their job placement rate? 

I, myself, am attending a regionally accredited, for-profit college for my Bachelor's degree, so I have no biases against those kinds of schools. I've debated this issue quite a bit lately, as I'm beginning to stare graduate school in the face (a Master's). I, personally, will be attending a brick and mortar school that offers online degrees for my Master's, because in my field it doesn't really matter (no clinicals or anything required), but I still feel that having a degree that doesn't make clear whether it was done on campus or online will give me an advantage. 

• Like 2

Hunter's Moon, this makes sense. I need to look again at Grand Canyon as well. They are for profit but have a campus in AZ. In my field, additional licensing is the natural path and my state does not make it easy for those who have not attended an in-state program.

I very much prefer online only with credentialing hours to be arranged by the student. I am spread somewhat thin already with work, credentialing hours and university right now. I am paying as I go and am constantly looking to lower that bill.

ETA: Cal Southern lets students arrange credentialing hours. I am already set up that way so this would not be a hurdle.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

You also want to consider how those in your field would look upon that degree.

My last employer had a policy of automatically dumping any resume where the applicant listed a for-profit school if a degree was required for the position. If a degree was not required (like for admin jobs), someone with a degree from a for-profit was treated the same as those without any degree at all.

They'd gotten burned by someone hired for an accounting position who had earned a bachelor's and was halfway towards a master's in accounting with a decent GPA but who didn't actually know the basics of the field. Management knew that the policy would eliminate some candidates who actually were qualified, but until the for-profits stopped acting like "diploma mills", the blanket policy was necessary.

• Like 2

Hunter's Moon, this makes sense. I need to look again at Grand Canyon as well. They are for profit but have a campus in AZ. In my field, additional licensing is the natural path and my state does not make it easy for those who have not attended an in-state program.

I very much prefer online only with credentialing hours to be arranged by the student. I am spread somewhat thin already with work, credentialing hours and university right now. I am paying as I go and am constantly looking to lower that bill.

ETA: Cal Southern lets students arrange credentialing hours. I am already set up that way so this would not be a hurdle.

I know that GCU is regionally accredited, and they recently tried to become non-profit but were blocked. 

I'm the same way when it comes to setting up my internships (which I know is different than credentialing hours), but I'm only in English, so there's no certifications or credentials required. 

I think as long as you're able to meet your state's licensing requirements, it won't matter too much whether you attended a for-profit or not. I believe this is especially true if the school is regionally accredited (which is likely required by your state's licensing board) and the licensing you seek requires you to have credentialing hours under your belt, as any future employers will know, based upon your license, that you've met all requirements. 

I wish you luck!

• Like 1

My last employer had a policy of automatically dumping any resume where the applicant listed a for-profit school if a degree was required for the position. If a degree was not required (like for admin jobs), someone with a degree from a for-profit was treated the same as those without any degree at all.

They'd gotten burned by someone hired for an accounting position who had earned a bachelor's and was halfway towards a master's in accounting with a decent GPA but who didn't actually know the basics of the field. Management knew that the policy would eliminate some candidates who actually were qualified, but until the for-profits stopped acting like "diploma mills", the blanket policy was necessary.

This is why I fully intend to choose an online Master's program that is offered by a brick and mortar school. 

I completely understand that employers have qualms with for-profit schools, especially since many of the popular ones aren't regionally accredited (which is really the biggest indicator of a school's worth). Since my field doesn't require licenses or credentials, I believe it's even more important for me to choose a school that employers at least know of as a brick and mortar, because I won't have those credentials to back me up and prove that I know what I'm doing. 

• Like 1