Menu

We need a miracle...our hard-drive crashed

My dh's hard-drive crashed Wednesday night. We have business information on there, baby picture's and personal information that is critical to us to retrieve. Dh spent the afternoon driving around our small metropolitan area going from computer shop to computer shop hoping someone would be able to help us out. Unfortunately, no one could solve our problem. My dh is fairly computer literate and he's tried everything he knows to retrieve this information....can anyone give us some guidance here? It's looking like we'll need to find someone who's an expert in data retrieval and has the tools to do it. We can't pay much (dh has been out of work for the past 3 months), but I would be so grateful if anyone here has ideas/referrals or an actual person available to assist! Kindest regards, Michelle in SW Missouri

My dh's hard-drive crashed Wednesday night. We have business information on there, baby picture's and personal information that is critical to us to retrieve. Dh spent the afternoon driving around our small metropolitan area going from computer shop to computer shop hoping someone would be able to help us out. Unfortunately, no one could solve our problem. My dh is fairly computer literate and he's tried everything he knows to retrieve this information....can anyone give us some guidance here? It's looking like we'll need to find someone who's an expert in data retrieval and has the tools to do it. We can't pay much (dh has been out of work for the past 3 months), but I would be so grateful if anyone here has ideas/referrals or an actual person available to assist! Kindest regards, Michelle in SW Missouri

Geek squad saved my info for $100 from a crashed mother board. Check them out online, maybe they have one in your area?!?!

we back up all our computers weekly, so that is my first advice for when you get a new drive!!!

but some computer place has to have data retrieval knowledge. I would call around before driving around...

what about a college nearby? perhaps some class is teaching that? they may charge less than a business...

hope you can get the info. having had 3 drives crash on me over the years I finally found the money to buy a backup. I can't tell you enough times to get a new drive AND a backup drive. they crash. some with warning(high pitch sounds are a sign) and some without...like last night for my dh :(

what about a college nearby? perhaps some class is teaching that? they may charge less than a business...

That's a good idea. :) Thank you...

I know it seems very irresponsible of us to not have backed this one up. Just last week, dh bought a second drive for the computer I'm using right now. The one that crashed on Wednesday, hasn't been used much in the past year because dh was working out of state and he used a lap-top. But, he got home in July...transferred all his info from his lap-top to the desk-top and for whatever reason, it did not enter his mind to back that computer up. Now he's kicking himself hard.

My husband, who owns his own IT business (well, building one from the ground up), says whether you can retrieve your information depends on what's wrong with it. If it is retrievable, he'd be able to do it. He'd be able to give it a try for you but you'd have to ship it here as we are in Washington.

If he can't do it, he won't charge you for his time.

If he can do it, the cost depends on what kind of hard drive you need/want to replace it. He can't give a quote without knowing that.

PM me if you want him to give you a quote.