Menu

How teacher intensive is RightStart 2nd Edition level D?

Bookworm4

We are only in the 1st half of RS 2E level C (and plan to continue through the summer at this point), but uncertain whether to continue on to the next level. We are using some other very intensive (for both teacher and student) curriculum that we need to continue with for reading/spelling and I am adding a kindergartener next year. I don't want to keep going with RS D if it is just as intensive (unless it ends up being the only curriculum that works for DD). That said, DD is dyslexic and low in her reading level so if there is a lot of writing for the student to read in the worksheets then that won't be a good fit either. RS methods have worked well for her and she has a great conceptual understanding of math. Her math facts are much slower to get down though. I find myself dragging my feet at doing math right now (even though she and I both enjoy math) because of how much time each lesson in level B took even though so far in C it is seeming to take less of my time for the most part.

I have debated if switching to MUS or TT would be a good idea for next year, but am uncertain. For background, MM visually overwhelms DD so that is out. Singapore primary math she hated when we did 1B (I think it had something to do with the pictures in the TB and WB) and at the time she begged to go back to RS and we did.

Decide how long you want to spend on math for each child. Set a timer. If timer goes off and not done math and have more than a minute or so left, mark place and continue tomorrow. If lesson done and more than say 5 minutes left... play a quick game. If many minutes left, start new lesson or play longer game or a few shorter ones.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Decide how long you want to spend on math for each child. Set a timer. If timer goes off and not done math and have more than a minute or so left, mark place and continue tomorrow. If lesson done and more than say 5 minutes left... play a quick game. If many minutes left, start new lesson or play longer game or a few shorter ones.

From a mom with 4 kids in RightStart edition 1 levels B-E....

• Like 1

Thanks.  I know this answer should be obvious and I should have thought of that.  I use the timer method in other subjects already...I'm not sure why I didn't consider it here. 

Also, I love the idea of my older being able to play the games with my younger one for practice. 

• Like 1

I'm finding D to be a bit less teacher intensive. The worksheets tend to be more independent now. So typically there's a warm-up, then some teaching, then the worksheet.

As in previous levels, the worksheet is one topic per sheet, so there isn't much instruction to the student on it. Of course if it happens to be word problems you'd probably need to be helping for that one.

And there are some days that don't have a worksheet, but overall it does seem to expect that students can work a bit longer on their own.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would agree that D is less intensive than C overall, but that might be some what kid dependent. My dd works very well independently and she's in D. My son, also dyslexic, does not do much of anything without handholding, so I anticipate he will need more of me when he gets to D. HTH

• Like 1

Iirc, d is less intensive than c. And e less than d.

I have one kid I expect will need me every minute of a-g (she's in c currently). For her I set the timer. For my other, once she gets to the worksheet she's independent (she's currently in g, but was this way from c on)

Edited by athomeontheprairie
  • Like 1

I would agree that D is less intensive than C overall, but that might be some what kid dependent. My dd works very well independently and she's in D. My son, also dyslexic, does not do much of anything without handholding, so I anticipate he will need more of me when he gets to D. HTH

Thanks for mentioning your dyslexic DS. I probably should expect more handholding than most need as well.