Menu

I'm looking for a monthly book subscription where I can choose the books...

Is there such a thing?  

I'd like to subscribe to a book club for my daughter who is 12 (13 in October).  Are there any book subscriptions where I can choose what books she'll get?  If not, wouldn't that be a fabulous idea??  I'd like to get a year subscription...so 12 books.  I'd love to be able to choose the 12 books that she'll get.  Not that I just choose titles off the top of my head (that's why I'd like a club...cuz I don't always know what books there are to choose from).  But, if there was a list they offered, and then I choose the ones I want for her.  This would be so awesome, but I don't know that there is such a thing.  The closest I found is Just the Right Book.  But, she's right on the brink of being either in the Kids group (Newborn-12) and the Teen group (13-17).  The kids group might be too young for her...but I hesitate going with the teen group.  I do like that you can customize your interest and say what kinds of books you do/don't like. But, I don't get to actually choose the book.  I know that's part of the surprise...but I don't have to be surprised, just she does.   :001_smile:  

Is there such a thing?  

I'd like to subscribe to a book club for my daughter who is 12 (13 in October).  Are there any book subscriptions where I can choose what books she'll get?  If not, wouldn't that be a fabulous idea??  I'd like to get a year subscription...so 12 books.  I'd love to be able to choose the 12 books that she'll get.  Not that I just choose titles off the top of my head (that's why I'd like a club...cuz I don't always know what books there are to choose from).  But, if there was a list they offered, and then I choose the ones I want for her.  This would be so awesome, but I don't know that there is such a thing.  The closest I found is Just the Right Book.  But, she's right on the brink of being either in the Kids group (Newborn-12) and the Teen group (13-17).  The kids group might be too young for her...but I hesitate going with the teen group.  I do like that you can customize your interest and say what kinds of books you do/don't like. But, I don't get to actually choose the book.  I know that's part of the surprise...but I don't have to be surprised, just she does.   :001_smile:  

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why wouldn't you just order a book every month from amazon? 

• Like 1

I've never heard of that. What about going through a booklist like one from Mensa, the Battle of the Books, or a lit-based curriculum and choosing 12 based on Amazon reviews? You use BookShark, right? Are you trying to diversify her reading or give her what she already likes? I like Battle of the Books because it is a nice variety be includes new titles.

The 5/6 Alaska list is really good (3/4 is kinda lame). http://www.goodbooksbadcoffee.com/fifth-sixth-grade-and-alternates. http://www.goodbooksbadcoffee.com/fifth-sixth-grade-alternate-titles

Middle school: http://www.goodbooksbadcoffee.com/middle-school-current-titles

Last year's lists: https://www.akla.org/akasl/bb/2015-2016finallistlist.pdf

Edited by ondreeuh

I've gotten more time to research this after coming home from work.  There are several book clubs like this.  But, they seem a little pricey.  I've started making a nice list of many of the book choices offered at these sites...and I may just end up getting them on Amazon.  

The reason I wanted to do this is because I know she'd love getting a book in the mail each month; a book she's never heard of before. She would like getting something in the mail, yet she's too old for a lot of the other monthly boxed subscriptions kits that are out there.  She loves reading, so I thought it would be a good fit for her.  

I wouldn't order monthly from Amazon, because this is something our school would order/buy for her
(plus I don't have Prime, so I'd either have to pay shipping, or be tempted to buy $35 worth of things each month to get free shipping).  But, like I said...I think getting the books from Amazon all at once would be cheaper than the subscriptions.  I thought it would be a neat idea to have it come monthly...but maybe I'll think of another plan.  Maybe I won't let her see what books I've chosen/ordered for her, and then maybe make it like a grab bag type thing...for the surprise factor.  In fact, I could add in an actual little surprise along with the grab bag book.  Hey...I'm brainstorming here as I'm typing this.  And it wouldn't have to be monthly, just when she gets done with one she can go on to another.  I don't know exactly what I'll end up doing.  

And, yes, we are using BookShark.  This is for extra fun reading.  

If anyone else is interested though, some monthly book subscriptions that look promising are: The Book Drop, Bluebird Book Subscription, Brilliant Books Monthly,  GiftLit, The Lollipop Book Club.  

Edited by BatmansWife

I wouldn't order monthly from Amazon, because this is something our school would order/buy for her

(plus I don't have Prime, so I'd either have to pay shipping, or be tempted to buy $35 worth of things each month to get free shipping).  But, like I said...I think getting the books from Amazon all at once would be cheaper than the subscriptions.  I thought it would be a neat idea to have it come monthly...but maybe I'll think of another plan.  Maybe I won't let her see what books I've chosen/ordered for her, and then maybe make it like a grab bag type thing...for the surprise factor.  In fact, I could add in an actual little surprise along with the grab bag book.  Hey...I'm brainstorming here as I'm typing this.  And it wouldn't have to be monthly, just when she gets done with one she can go on to another.  I don't know exactly what I'll end up doing.  

That could be really fun! I would do some research, pick maybe 6 to start with, and have the school order them (or reimburse you if they do that). Then package up each book with something fun - especially cool if it relates to the book. Or just a cool bookmark, book light, something like that. Hide them from your dd and give her a book at a time. Maybe even get hardback books so they feel more special.

I would do this myself if I hadn't just filled my shelves with new books for my kids. ;) Maybe I will hide the books and make it a surprise to reveal them.

• Like 1

That could be really fun! I would do some research, pick maybe 6 to start with, and have the school order them (or reimburse you if they do that). Then package up each book with something fun - especially cool if it relates to the book. Or just a cool bookmark, book light, something like that. Hide them from your dd and give her a book at a time. Maybe even get hardback books so they feel more special.

I would do this myself if I hadn't just filled my shelves with new books for my kids. ;) Maybe I will hide the books and make it a surprise to reveal them.

Great ideas!  I'm liking this idea more and more.  I think this will be fun.  :001_smile:

• Like 1