Menu

How to compress Memoria Press Traditional Logic I & II

My son will begin 9th grade in the fall. He's quite an able student.

I was thinking of doing MP Traditional Logic I over the summer. If possible I would like him to finish Traditional Logic II in the summer as well. Is that possible or asking too much? If you think it is workable, can you please suggest how I might go about doing that?

Or do you think it is better for us to finish Traditional Logic I during the summer, and then do Traditional Logic II throughout the 2016-17 school year?

Would love to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks!

It really depends on the student and his previous work.  For example, if he's had logic in a geometry course, etc., he might not even need MP Traditional Logic, at least the first one (it might just require a quick explanation or review of terminology since the terminology is different in math courses using proofs).

We didn't make it through all of MP's Trad Logic I. However, if you are open to Nance's Logic programs & an online class, I believe Wilson Hill is offering a Logic 1 class this summer that will cover all of Intro Logic & 1/2 of the Intermediate Logic book. Someone posted a thread about it on here. . . .  (Edited to add the link to the thread.)

Edited by RootAnn

Thanks for all your input! This is very helpful!

In fact, DS just finished Geometry.

So, maybe we can quickly run through MP's Traditional Logic I and then focus on II? (That is, if he really does find Traditional Logic to be mostly material that he learned in Geometry.) Does that sound reasonable?

Also, I was thinking of buying their DVD lectures. Do you think that is worth it? Thanks!

MP's Traditional Logic is not like geometric proofs, so while it complements geometry, it will seem different than geometry. There are specific terms and forms to learn.

Maybe you should look at the books before deciding whether your student will be able to do both in a summer. I could imagine my upcoming ninth grader doing both in a school year, so maybe both in a summer would work. What I would be concerned about is whether they would retain a lot of it if gone through so quickly.

Thanks Penelope for pointing that out. I also appreciate your point about retention of materials learned. I guess I will try to do Traditional Logic I over the summer, and then see how things go before attempting the second book. Even if he finishes just the first book, he would be accomplishing a lot. Thanks!