Menu

Ideas for a really good homemade pizza crust? please help...

Well, my family and friends love mine....

1 C tepid water

1 pkg. yeast

1/4 c olive oil (1/3 if I use more water)

crushed garlic (I probably use a heaping teaspoon or a little more. Don't measure)

Italian spice (Again, I don't measure. Probably a teaspoon or slightly less.)

Crushed Red Pepper (I don't use a lot because I have small children that don't like it too hot.)

flour

I kneed the dough and set it aside to rest for a few minutes. Then, when I am making it into the pizza crust (this makes two med. pizzas, add more water if you want more) I oil the pan and sprinkle in some corn meal into the pan. Or you can roll it out on corn meal. This gives it a little more crispness to the crust.

Let your dough rise slightly in the pan before putting the sauce and toppings on.

HTH :001_smile:

ETA- I also add sugar to the water and yeast. Maybe a 1/2 - 1 teaspoon

Edited by mompotter

The taste can also depend on the type of flour you are using. Some cooks prefer a higher gluten flour such as King Arthur all purpose or even bread flour.

3-3 1/4 c. King Arthur All Purpose Flour

1 c. luke warm water

1 pkt. yeast or 2 tsp

1tsp. sugar

1 T. Olive Oil

1tsp. salt

Mix yeast and sugar with water in stand mixer and let sit for 10 m. to get the yeast started. Add olive oil and salt. Add 3 cups of the flour and mix with dough attachment until combined. Add as much of the 1/4c flour as needed to make the dough form into a ball that is not sticky, but not so much as to make it dry and flaky. Let the machine knead it for 6 minutes. Put into a bowl greased w/olive oil, cover w/plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot for 2 hours.

Edited by Georgie
forgot one part

I use the recipe in that cookbook. (Baking Basics) Each recipe comes with the hand mixing directions along with the stand mixer directions.

Mixing by hand:

5 tsp of yeast

2 1/4 cup of warm water (105-110 degrees)

2 tsp of sugar

1/4 cup olive oil

5 cups of bread four ( I use unbleached all purpose.)

1 tbs course sea salt

**1 extra cup of flour on hand for kneading.

Add water to the yeast, then the sugar. Allow to bubble up for 5 minutes.

Then add in this order: olive oil, flour, then salt. If you add the salt directly to the yeast liquid the salt stops the activation of the yeast.

Mix it together in the bowl until you have a rough shaped ball. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl, set your timer for 8-10 minutes. Knead by hand until you have an elastic smooth ball of dough.

Place the dough into a large bowl brushed with oil.l Brush a little oil on top of the ball. Cover and place in a warm place. Allow to rise for an hour. Punch down after it has doubled in size.

Separate into two halves. This will make two pizzas.

I also add 1-2 tsp of Italian seasoning to the flour before I dump it into the yeast. It gives the dough a wonderful flavor and smells quite delicious when baking.

I use this recipe for my stromboli, which we just had last night. I am eating a piece of leftover now.....It is divine!!!:D

I know you have gotten lots of recipes but thought one more could not hurt.

This one has never failed me. I do make sure I use the timer to insure long enough kneading.

If you mill your own grain this recipe is "to-die-for" (so say my dc):)

17.5 oz warm water

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/8 cup honey

mill 4 cups grain (use all flour it makes)

2 TBSP lecithin

2 tsp gluten

2 tsp salt

1 1/2 TBSP yeast

I use my bread machine on the dough cycle for this.

This is the BEST pizza recipe we have ever used!

Jessica at Trivium Academy s Papa John s Pizza

Papa John s Pizza Sauce

1- 10 3/4 oz. tomato puree

1/4 c. water

1 tea. olive oil

1/4 tea. lemon juice

1/4 t. (each) salt, oregano

1/8 t. (or a pinch) basil, thyme, garlic powder

Bring to boil, simmer for 15-20 minutes.

While sauce is cooking preheat oven to 400° and make your dough. This recipe makes two pizzas in our home.

Dough

1 cup warm water

2 T. sugar

1 pkg. dry yeast

3 c. white flour

1/2 tsp. salt

2 T. olive oil

thyme, basil, oregano, garlic powder as you like

Mix the water, sugar and yeast together well. Add the flour, salt, olive oil and spices. Knead dough, let rise for 5-10 minutes. Separate in two, roll out with floured pin (I use a floured glass).

Sauce is done, put a good layer of sauce on, add desired toppings then 1-2 cups of shredded mozzarella or pizza blend cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes.

Yummy! Most of the time this is better than eating from a restaurant, plus there s so much you can do. Add onions, peppers etc. You can even make it in advance and freeze it, just bake in preheated oven 400° for 20 minutes keeping an eye on it.