Menu

Art study?

ExcitedMama

We are coming to the end of MP K Enrichment. I have books I have neglected with CDs to carry on a music component over the summer but nothing for art. It's been fun to have the art cards to look at and talk about. Some we have definitely liked more than others but I think it's been a good introduction for DS. There are so many art type studies when I went looking. Anything to recommend? I'd like more cards to put up so I'm not sure if that limits it to one artist at a time, like should I put Degas and focus on him for a month and then do like Rembrandt? Or is there something with more variety?

We've been using the MET daily art calendar (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0761182764/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1461789881&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=met+art+calendar&dpPl=1&dpID=61Ouud%2BP8qL&ref=plSrch). It's near the table, so we discuss each day's art piece over breakfast. I flip it the night before and occasionally look something up to have more to share about an artist or work the next morning. Sometimes I'll Google an artist and go through Google Images on the iPad to give more examples. It's light, easy, generates great discussion, and since it's right there, it always happens. :) I also like it that we will have a pile of 'art cards' to use/play with when we are done!

We've also been reading through this book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1579129560/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1461789759&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=childs+introduction+to+art) and it's been excellent. The kids love it and I find it to be just the right amount of information. They are so pleased when the focus is on a painting they recognize!

• Like 1

I've collected a fair amount of those "Twenty-four ______ Paintings (Collection for Kids)" Kindle books by Stanley Cesar to go with them. They go on daily free deals on occasion. There's some free right now actually. (Find one on Amazon, click on the author's name, and then tell it to sort from lowest price to highest price.

And we have plenty of Sister Wendy stuff around.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1