Menu

Rhetorical devices, any of these books useful for learning?

My oldest has been asking me literary terms from his writing class that I have either not learnt or forgotten.  I google and found these recommended by school teachers so any of these useful before I try to ILL/Link+ them?

Writing With Clarity and Style: A Guide to Rhetorical Devices for Contemporary Writers by Robert Harris

Rhetorical Devices: A Handbook and Activities for Student Writers

Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student, 4th Edition by Edward Corbett and Robert Connors

I looked at the ToC and Index today and didn't find catachresis. I am not able to search through the book on GoogleBooks either. If you can find the term in there and let me know the page number, I can send you the scans. I did find mixed metaphors in the book. I can scan that page and send it to you if you want.

ETA: In Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student, there is a short paragraph on catachresis, again under mixed metaphors. But at least Corbett mentions the term; Sharon Hamilton does not.

Edited by nansk
  • Like 1

I really like the Writing with Clarity and Style book. It has catachresis in it.

Are you using it as a guide or as a reference? My nearest libraries do not have it so if Inter Library Loan doesn't have it, I might just buy a copy as reference for literature.

I've used it as both.  I've never worked through it with anyone cover to cover (yet).   But I have worked through some of it with all the kids aloud and have sent my older ones to work through some on their own.  I plan to use it better next year.  

• Like 1