Menu

Suggestions for secular replacement for R&S English?

quietchapel

I have to say after using both, Hake does not explain things very well. Like how to find the subject when you have a question. {turn it into a statement}. It frustrated all my boys to death.

Really, there isn't anything secular like R&S I have found. CLE is just as good and way less religious, though. It also is not expensive as you can buy the lightunits one at a time, if need be.

Perhaps KISS Grammar? I think it is a free online program.

Edited by Paradox5

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the input about Hake , too. I just had it in my Rainbow cart. I am looking for grade 5 currently, but would like to stick with the same program through grade 8. I looked at KISS last year and it made my head hurt!

Edited by quietchapel

Climbing To Good English

This isn't secular. It's the Amish equivalent to Rod and Staff. One of mine uses it instead of R and S bc he needs s workbook style program . That said- it could certainly be used secularly--if one didn't mind diagramming an occasional Bible reference. It's not evangelistic.

This isn't secular. It's the Amish equivalent to Rod and Staff. One of mine uses it instead of R and S bc he needs s workbook style program . That said- it could certainly be used secularly--if one didn't mind diagramming an occasional Bible reference. It's not evangelistic.

The Amish use secular materials. Ive never seen any bible references in 1-3, are they in later grades?

The Amish use secular materials. Ive never seen any bible references in 1-3, are they in later grades?

Leafing quickly through 5 (he did 4, but I don't remember), I see very occasional sentences that assume Christianity or sentences to punctuate about hymns or are a Bible verse. It's much, much lighter than R and S and no references to God in the teaching parts. I don't think it would be a problem for most secular folk (or non-Christians), but it does exist.

Leafing quickly through 5 (he did 4, but I don't remember), I see very occasional sentences that assume Christianity or sentences to punctuate about hymns or are a Bible verse. It's much, much lighter than R and S and no references to God in the teaching parts. I don't think it would be a problem for most secular folk (or non-Christians), but it does exist.

Good to know! Thanks.

Thanks very much. Is AG difficult to implement ? I think, also, that part of me wonders how much grammar is necessary.

JAG/AG is super easy to implement. JAG is only 11 weeks worth of work. JAG Mechanics is about the same size. AG is designed to be done in similarly sized "seasons" at the rate of one a year. Short and painless.

Edited by SilverMoon