Menu

Kumon workbook recommendations

Kidlit

I am about to place a huge order at Amazon, and I thought I might throw in a few Kumon workbooks for good measure.:tongue_smilie: I've only seen these in a Barnes & Noble once, so I don't have a good feel for the appropriate ages and abilities, etc. I have one dd, age 4, who is progressing well with phonemes and has pretty good (IMO) motor skills for her age. She ADORES using the scissors and can cut an almost perfect line. She is interested in doing mazes and word puzzles ('though she doesn't know how to read yet) and can make most of her letters. My other dd, age almost 3, wants to do everything her big sis does, but she obviously lacks the fine motor skills to do some of it. For the record, she, too, LOVES using scissors.:tongue_smilie:

What would those of you who have used these workbooks recommend?:bigear:

I have found that the ages listed on their books tend to be pretty accurate. The Tracing book, for example, is great for an average 3 year old, or a 2 year old with super-good motor skills, or a 4 year old who needs lots of practice with his motor skills.

I would get the cutting book for your 3 year old, and the pasting book for your 4 year old. And the tracing book for your 3 year old and a maze book for your 4 year old. That way they will have similar books, so little sis can be doing what big sis is doing, just at her own level.

If you are still looking for more, I like the Number Games book - lots of dot-to-dots and Color-By-Numbers. We also have the letters and numbers books, but we got bored with them, and moved on to an actual handwriting program.

We've used lots of the Kumon workbooks and have loved them all. I, too, have found the ages on the book to be accurate. The maze book, pasting, cutting, numbers, numbers games.... those are ones I can think of off the top of my head that we used at 3-4. I think the number book was great to help my 4yo learn his numbers especially.

You can see samples of the kumon workbooks here and here are a few more suggestions -

for your younger child the 'first steps' workbooks are great. They are smaller than the regular Kumon books but really great for developing those motor skills. Dd's favorite was the sticker and paste. She found the folding book more difficult and the other two were easier for her.

As to the other - the maze books are wonderful and I think the numbers 1-30 is great. It has quite a bit of handwriting (writing numbers) but it gives a good base for whatever math program you use in the future. My dd has loved all the kumon books we have gotten for her.