Menu

looking for suggestions for chronically ill parent/high school children

Hi,

I have been homeschooling for almost 15 years now but the last 4 years I have had chronic,unexplained pain in several areas in my body.  We have managed to graduate 1 child, who is now finishing her 1st year of college.  But we have 3 more to go-17 year old, and twin 14 year old boys entering high school next year.

Although it would be easier to send the boys to high school, we have decided to continue them as well at home.  BUT, I am in need of some suggestions for some low prep curricula for 9th grade.  Both will be taking online classes for foreign language so that is covered.  They are finishing Jacobs Elementary Algebra this year, with me doing all the teaching, so we need:

Geometry

English

History

Science/Biology

We have been doing TOG using the Dialectic level but I am not willing to go into the Rhetoric area-too much prep for me at this point with the pain.  So we need to find a new history that is similar-that uses some good literature.  We have all equipment for the labs, so we are set for just about any biology curriculum we find.  I am willing to consider most anything at this point but really just need some help finding some low prep things.

I will be also working with the 17 year old quite a bit getting her ready for community college or SAT or whatever we decide to do with her - next year is her senior year.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to give suggestions,

pj

We turned to Teaching Textbooks Geometry the year we were hit with a major medical issue. It did the job well. 

We had to leave Jacobs behind because dd could not manage that on her own. TT was much more straightforward, and that's what she needed, especially that year.

Chalkdust is pretty low-prep math, Teaching Textbooks is very low-prep (but I'm not a fan of the Geometry).  We've used Jacob's with the lesson plans (just do the next thing, watch the lecture...)

SoS Biology is very low-prep (Shmoop! is as well, and is fairly entertaining from what I've seen)

For low-prep with history, most textbook approaches (BJU, for example) would be a good place to start, and then add in 4-6 books. Shmoop!, Study.com also have history, as does EdX

English...you could look at Edx, Shmoop!, or another textbook/workbook course (BJU/Abeka)

• Like 1