Menu

What year is CC doing next fall in the History Cycle?

We have done both - follow theirs and do our own. The Essentials class using IEW will be using the Middle Ages writing. The history sentences start at 800AD up to the 1990's. I have no idea what our family will be doing next year, I am in the thick of this year and still trying to figure out math now that the program we have been doing is ending and we need to switch.

Next year is Cycle 2 which starts with Charlemagne and goes to the present concentrating on Europe (for the history sentences.)

As far as what we do at home - my will be 3rd grader did Ancient history (even though it doesn't line up prefectly with cycle 1) and will do middle ages next year (though it won't line up perfectly all year long).  My 10yo did Ancients and middle ages this year.  I'm planning to start American with him next year because I would like to have two years to do American with him instead of trying to cram it all into one.

The short answer is I suppose we treat it like memory work and do our own thing.  My 10 yo reviewed totally independently this year, and successfully completed memory master.  My 7yo was less inclined to review independently at home, but I really hate wasting my time with them on memory work when I have more important things to do with them one on one. 

HTH.

• Like 2

We are new to CC this year but we use foundations just as memory work. We are also in essentials so we do iew and EEL at home. I also do Analytical Grammar on our off weeks. Our cycles happened to line up and we are in Ancient History although I've noticed the sentences are all over the place and not all in ancient history. CC set up the science sentences and history sentences so different from any typical homeschool curriculum it is really impossible to completely line anything up unless you create your own program. I wish they had the 4 year cycle and topical science for those of us who use it as a suppliment. CC people will tell you to just do memory work and skip science and history. I lean more towards TWTM than CC though so I don't see it as being enough.

• Like 1

We are new to CC this year but we use foundations just as memory work. We are also in essentials so we do iew and EEL at home. I also do Analytical Grammar on our off weeks. Our cycles happened to line up and we are in Ancient History although I've noticed the sentences are all over the place and not all in ancient history. CC set up the science sentences and history sentences so different from any typical homeschool curriculum it is really impossible to completely line anything up unless you create your own program. I wish they had the 4 year cycle and topical science for those of us who use it as a suppliment. CC people will tell you to just do memory work and skip science and history. I lean more towards TWTM than CC though so I don't see it as being enough.

This is what sort of typically stops me from joining CC. I much prefer a 4 or 6 year history cycle. We did early American History up through the Civil Wat this year and plan to do something different. We are going to do a Little House study doing a book a month then pick back up with the 1900's to modern next year focusing on US History. I don't know that CC will compliment my plans or that I want to change them to go along with CC.

On the other hand it's tough finding other co-ops or starting one. And I have a toddler and twin infants, so I feel like we need something to help keep us on track, and I have a 4th grader that would benefit from Essentials and the whole group setting / instruction from someone besides mom.

I thought well maybe it'll cover my basis for doing classical and then allow us freedom to take a longer stroll through US history / follow rabbit trail, etc