Menu

Carpet, allergies, asthma and renting

pinkmint

You might look at older homes and duplexes - in my renting experience, they are more likely to have hardwood than the newer rentals.  Kind of depends on the part of the city you live in, though - these homes have to be usually 50+ years old (or more) to have hardwoods, ime.  They're usually pretty small, though - we rented one that was technically a two-bedroom, but the bedrooms were connected by a sliding door closet (so not really separate) and other than that it was basically one room plus a tiny bathroom and small kitchen.  We had 3 small kids at the time (6, 3, infant) so we loved it :)  We have generally had success finding these types of places in the older parts of small cities (50,000) or older suburbs that were once small towns in their own right.  I could give you a lot of advice on finding a place in the Kansas City area but I don't know much about Texas these days.  Citydata forums tend to have pretty good info on different neighborhoods and what kinds of places are safe/available.

What if you put loose lay vinyl planks just in your daughter's room over the carpet? They're considered removable and won't break your lease. If that works out, creep them down the hall and into other rooms gradually. Something like this:

Edited by KungFuPanda