Menu

Spelling Help

TCoppock

DS has been breezing through SWO D up until about a 3-4 weeks ago when we started with possessives. He is able to spell the words but he is struggling with figuring out if they are singular or plural possessives. He knows the rule of where the apostrophe is suppose to go but when test time comes he isn't able to pick up on the clues. We are both becoming very frustrated. I have tried to explain this to him numerous times but he is struggling to master this. I'm wondering if it is better to move on and return to this lesson at a later time. Has anyone else had a problem teaching this? Any suggestions on how best to deal with this? I know he is really trying but I see him losing confidence in himself.

I don't know your kid or his age, but my ds 11 is dyslexic. Anything that is frustrating, yeah, we come back to at a later time. My dd's, they can plow through a few extra days of instruction/learning, and they will get it. Maybe. But usually, they'll need to review a few times at later dates to retain. But I'd suggest telling him you are going to skip that lesson(s) for now since it is frustrating him. He will probably be relieved. I mean, there are things that we adults don't get the first time around either. :tongue_smilie:

HTH

And if, after letting possessives rest for awhile, you want to practice them, the Mary Pecci "Word Skills" book has some great, simple, helpful handmade worksheets that explain and drill possessives -- as well as contractions; adding prefixes/endings/suffixes; syllable rules; and other great things that really help spelling. See sample pages at: http://www.onlinereadingteacher.com/wordskills2.html

Another thought is for now give 2 sample sentences for the possessive spelling word to help train your student to reword the sentence in his mind to help him figure out the spelling for later on when he is using possessives in his writing.

- cat's

- I saw the cat's food bowl."

- "I saw the bowl which belonged to the cat."

- cat's

- its

- That is its food bowl.

- That food bowl belongs to it.

- its

- it's

- It's going to rain.

- It is going to rain.

- it's