Menu

Would you consider moving just for change?

Janeway

I wouldn't. I hope to never move again. It's a hassle, it's expensive, and it takes a while in my experience to feel connected and settled in a new place. Actually, it usually takes a lot longer than I wish it would.

If you feel connection, belonging, contentment where you are, I wouldn't pull up my roots to move.

I even had to have an x-ray a few months ago and the technician was speaking openly about how he would never allow his kids to come home again if they were gay. 

:svengo: 

A)  I can't imagine turning my back on my kids no matter what.  There could be a few extreme deals (like their becoming terrorists or violent in other ways), but...

B)  Saying such a thing on the job even if he feels that way???  I hope you said something.

C)  You really can get that anywhere.  It's sad, but true.

With all you've said, esp since your kids are on board, why not involve the whole family in picking out some destinations to vacation to and truly look at.  It could be quite fun to turn into a family adventure.

We'd move given an interesting opportunity, or if we just felt like we really needed a change.  Our kids aren't home anymore, but we traveled a lot with them and several times were a few months here, a few months there, even while keeping our home.  So, they grew up knowing that many places could feel like home and be fun.  There definitely were some periods when we would not have moved, when our kids were super involved with things in our community.

But up through middle school age would be a good time I think.  That's often when friend groups are changing, and new interests are being formed.  

I would not move thinking all my problems would be solved, and you do have to push to get involved in a new community, of course, which can sometimes be hard.  But I think it's also true that a new place, a fresh start, can be really healthy and bring some very positive changes.