Menu

Independent reading suggestions for 1st and 2nd...

EMS83

A little context: I know ability varies widely, I use Phonics Pathways and have one DS who's about halfway through but with difficulty (v's and f's have become th's in his speech ever since he learned the "th" sound).  And I have one that will start in the fall or winter.  I don't want readers, but actual decent books, if at all possible--we have Beatrix Potter and Milne and Curious George.  I'm hoping for a few new ideas I can put on the Kindle I just got (used Kindle Keyboard purely for reading).  It will mainly be for when they are reading more fluently, but I want something for them so it doesn't feel like it's only really accessible for DD who reads very well.

Anyway, I appreciate any suggestions regardless!!

Edited by CES2005

We found Clifford and Little Critter books to be a good match once they were reading relatively fluently.  Those aren't high literature, but at least they're not painfully awful reader-type stories.  IIRC, both of them range from early first to late 2nd, so you may have to pick and choose which ones will work in the early stages.  Before that we leaned heavily on Mo Willems for being readable while still having a meaningful storyline that didn't make parents and kids alike want to bang their heads against the walls.