Menu

Post mastectomy/reconstructive surgery

Lawana

Not for me, but a good friend having a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery at the same time.

What did you find was the most successful style of clothes/pajamas to wear during the immediate recovery period? Either that you had or wish you would have had?

Not for me, but a good friend having a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery at the same time.

What did you find was the most successful style of clothes/pajamas to wear during the immediate recovery period? Either that you had or wish you would have had?

I had the same surgery about 5 years ago. 

I wore the doctor prescribed bra for several months - it was hideously ugly, but did help "hold" everything together while I was healing. I lived in camis with hoodies for months. For sleeping I wore nightshirts sized up so they weren't clingy at all.

Sleeping is the worst - I slept in a recliner packed in pillows for 8(?) months because I was uncomfortable in a flat bed. I still don't sleep nearly as well as I did prior to surgery.

Make sure to put all dishes, toothbrushes, etc. on the counter if she's going to be alone within a few weeks after the surgery. I was unable to lift my arms up because of the drains for a week or two after surgery, and even after that, it could be a stretch. I would've been unable to get a glass of water if no one was home. Also, a chair or stool in the shower helps a ton since I was tired for a long time afterward.

Hugs to your friend. 

I had the same surgery about 5 years ago.

I wore the doctor prescribed bra for several months - it was hideously ugly, but did help "hold" everything together while I was healing. I lived in camis with hoodies for months. For sleeping I wore nightshirts sized up so they weren't clingy at all.

Sleeping is the worst - I slept in a recliner packed in pillows for 8(?) months because I was uncomfortable in a flat bed. I still don't sleep nearly as well as I did prior to surgery.

Make sure to put all dishes, toothbrushes, etc. on the counter if she's going to be alone within a few weeks after the surgery. I was unable to lift my arms up because of the drains for a week or two after surgery, and even after that, it could be a stretch. I would've been unable to get a glass of water if no one was home. Also, a chair or stool in the shower helps a ton since I was tired for a long time afterward.

Hugs to your friend.

I am sorry you had to go through that. Hugs to you!

Thank you for the info. Did you have any difficulty getting the camis on right at first?

I am sorry you had to go through that. Hugs to you!

Thank you for the info. Did you have any difficulty getting the camis on right at first?

She will want button down shirts for first coming home from hospital. I switched to the camis in about a week, because I can't stand button downs. I found the camis kind of held everything tight which is good for pain control.

• Like 1