Menu

Drafting a letter - GAP Year

Is anyone willing to share a sample letter requesting deferred enrollment?. My daughter plans to take a gap year before going to college. We are missionaries overseas and she wants to wait a year before launching back to the states. She plans to devote more time to language learning, to be more involved in ministry and to work part time helping out at a private, international Christian school. (Right now she thinks that her future holds plans for returning overseas.) She also wants to take take to mature. She's is not sure what she wants to major in, but feels called to ministry overseas.

Honestly, she is leaning toward going to Bible college and may not end up going to the university where she was accepted at all. Of course, I'm not going to share that with them and I know that a lot can change during her gap year. I just want to keep the door open. The college is a private, Christian university that is generally supportive of gap years so I don't foresee it being a problem. 

TIA! 

Edited by Juliegmom

Well, I don't have a sample letter, but it seems to me that she could simply write about the points you made in your post above.  She probably wouldn't want to mention taking an extra year to mature(maybe not?) -- that is a clear benefit of a gap year -- but I would think she should mention her plans and the things she would like to do with her time.  It's impressive to me that a bright, busy, energetic young person wishes to seize the marvelous opportunity to live and work overseas for a year before continuing her formal studies.  Her goals and plans speak for themselves.  

I assume that she will seek God's direction for her life during this time off from school, and I think she could share that in her letter, too.

What I don't know is how it works when a student defers admission.  If she believes she will attend this school following her year off, that's great.  What happens if she defers admission and then changes her mind later?  I'm sure it happens sometimes... I just don't know about any consequences.

Anyway, I think her plans sound wonderful, and you are just terrific in thinking ahead and trying to keep doors open for her.   :001_smile:

• Like 1