Menu

I need an easy Kindergarten and 1st grade year.

pocjets

I will be teaching 5 kids next year and need something that I don't have to plan or think about for K and 1st grade. Has anyonre done some sort of boxed curriculum for those grades so I don't have any planing to do? The other option would be to use what I've normally used but to just plan everything out this summer. Thank you!

Edited by pocjets

I agree with SilverMoon. If find do the next thing curriculum. That's actually always what we do! Then you can fund things without busy work. We tried a box curriculum and it felt far more pressurized than mixing and matching.

If you have space, workboxes are really nice to help guide the younger kids to do the next thing.  I did mine with stacking drawers, and it didn't take much time at all to fill them when I had a plan in place for what they were going to do.  Here's a blog post I did about it back in the day - getting ready to do the same thing next year with my (much) younger child!  (:  

http://gwgumby.blogspot.com/2009/04/workboxes-i-love-them.html

A math lesson a day or whatever book (I use CLE 100 and do 1/2 lesson a day as advised by many on here, plus the flashcards). 15 minutes of whatever phonics you like (we do AAR, it's open and go) and 1 page of handwriting a day (I use A Reason for Handwriting). Done. Let them play the rest of the day, and listen in as you read to the others. 

I do add in documentaries, read alouds and such, but those are the basics. We do math/handwriting/reading 4 days a week most weeks. For first grade we'll do a whole lesson of math instead of 1/2 a lesson, and add in some kind of history probably/maybe. 

• Like 1

Finishing up first grade with my daughter now and we've been doing exactly what ktgrok said. Math, 10 minute reading lesson from OPGTR, and she copies a couple sentences of copywork. In the afternoon during quiet time she reads to me from her reader (we use Pathways readers) and then I read to her from a read aloud or history type book. We listen to audio books in the car and I read to her at bedtime. If she's interested in something, I look it up on YouTube and we learn about it. She's always outside looking for bugs and lizards and loves gymnastics. It's been a good year.

• Like 1