Menu

secular online writing class??

** I also posted this on the general k-8 board, but thought some people who only hang out on this board could help too :) **

I am looking for an online writing class for my will be 5th grader for next year.  Most I am finding are Christian based and since we are Jewish I'm concerned topics may not follow what my son learns at home.  

I was excited about the WTMA intro to expository writing, but we are in pacific time and over the summer the class is either at 6am or 7am our time and about the same on the days that work for us next school year  :(  

I'm thinking about trying the writing component in addition to the literature class at the center for lit, but there are no writing class samples for the 5th grade level  (only higher classes), so I'm not sure what to expect.  

Does anyone else have any other ideas?  I would not be totally against a Christian group, but only if Christian content is not heavily used in the course.  (such as virtual homeschool gorup which says which classes have a strong Christian element to them).

Thank you!

Edited by HeatherL

Brave Writer does not have any religious content in the teaching or assignments in all the online classes that I've seen. Some students may choose to write about their own faith based experiences, but that is student driven and not assigned.

Center for Lit definitely is taught from a Christian worldview in their lit courses.

Center for Lit definitely is taught from a Christian worldview in their lit courses.

Oh, thank you for letting me know.  I didn't realize that.  I just listened to the first 20 minutes or so of the sample book discussion and hadn't heard anything, so I assumed they were secular.

Oh, thank you for letting me know.  I didn't realize that.  I just listened to the first 20 minutes or so of the sample book discussion and hadn't heard anything, so I assumed they were secular.

Adam and Missy Andrews are definitely Christians themselves and it just comes through in some of their conversations. I've never heard anything in their Center for LIt classes that I'd call preachy. In many of the lit discussions, you'd never know, but depending on the book the discussion might turn toward Christian values and sometimes it sounds like he's talking to an audience that all has a Christian worldview. One of my kids says it is obvious that he's a Christian from how he talks in the high school class, but another was surprised saying nothing "Christian" was ever said in the Jr. High lit course.

My impression is that he doesn't guide the class that way, but if the conversation from the students (or from the book) leads to a more moral/religious discussion, then he definitely speaks from a Christian worldview as that is who he is.

• Like 1