Menu

Critical Thinking's Word Roots vs. Vocabulary from Classical Roots

dori123

I have it narrowed down to Critical Thinking's Word Roots or Vocabulary from Classical Roots and would love feedback on what you all like better and why. Kids are 10 (very wordy and expressive, excellent with language) and 12 (off the charts reader). I like the workbook style, not the software (though would like to hear if anyone LOVES it). 

I have studied the sample pages from both and WR seems better because they ask kids to create sentences using the words.

VfCR seems more multiple-choice-ish, fill-in-the-blank, etc, which seems less active and thoughtful. 

BUT all the reviews seem to point at VfCR. 

Help? 

I remember debating between them both and I finally settled on VCR. I like that it writes out several different definitions and gives many different possibilities for how each word could be used contextually, rather than requiring the student to come up with their own ideas of how it might be used. I also like the way it asks them to pick out the sentence where the word is used incorrectly. That's been very valuable for us.