Menu

Any experts on discalculia?

My 14 year old's algebra tutor brought me her concerns that Dd has this.

The kid is so smart. She has no problems understanding algebra. Fortunately, I spent years making sure that she memorized her multiplication facts, but she really can not add and subtract.

Her teacher spent several hours with her this week trying to figure out where the break down is. It turns out that she is working in "base 3".

In her mind, 7+4 is really two 3s and 1 plus another 3 and one. So the answer is three 3s plus two 1s or 9+2

I've certainly tried explaining how to "make 10s" to add larger numbers. She justs asks me why I'm trying to make it so hard and confuse her when her way works perfectly well.

Her tutor said that she knows this isn't an issue of her not being taught correctly, because she has worked with 2 of my other children who do not have the same problem.

Dd also has a lot of difficulty telling time, and not getting lost.

Her teacher has no problem teaching her algebra, calculus, even trigonometry, but she really wants someone more knowledgeable helping Dd with arithmetic.

How to I even begin to find someone to test her, and re mediate?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!