Menu

BFSU supplies

Looking at the samples, I really like what I see of the second and third book. The first lesson from the first book is not my cup of tea, but well...I can see where it's heading. So, yes, overall it does look awesome!

Question regarding the supplies needed: Looking at the third sample, I was a bit shocked/surprised. For one lesson you need: a stereo or radio speaker, discarded motor, discarded generator, and a hand-crank generator. :mellow: :huh:

I mean...I don't mind hunting supplies, but this is kind of crazy :glare: How's the rest of the book? I've found a list for volume 1 and nothing is being mentioned I can't get my hands on quite easily.

Thanks!

• Like 1

We are well into the third book with no exorbitant expenses.

Looking at the lesson you mention, all of those items are suggested for examination or disassembly, but I think they visuals all be replaced by pictures our videos from the internet if needed. If your dc are all fired up about electricity generation, chances are sourcing done of these things will seem worth it and not at all onerous. Conversely if biology is their thing and electricity not so much you can find some "look inside" pictures at the library or on the internet and move on.

We are just finishing up some of the chemistry lessons. The materials list is very basic, but since one of mine was interested, I added additional lessons from another source, purchased some resources for those additional lessons and then used those to beef up the BFSU lessons.

• Like 4

I know I'm pretty lame, but whenever I see materials that can be recycled, I just look to see where I can buy them new.  I find them typically at Home Science Tools, or Amazon or similar online vendors.  For example, I'm pretty sure I bought this for that lesson.  And this.

Radio Shack, Jameco, and Amazon also sell small speakers; they are quite cheap.  Here's a cheap speaker that is made of paper (!) so it's super easy to take apart.  

If you are learning about sound, microphones and speakers, you'll definitely want to check out this video on how to make your own speaker.  We did it and it really works!  

(I'm nostalgic for BFSU.)  

• Like 2

Thank you so much! This is really helpful, I didn't even think of ordering it online. I could just order all the supplies at the start of the year and have them ready for the lessons. It sure does look like a lot of fun!

I'm not sure if you heard this tip, but this is what I did, on the advice of someone from the bfsu yahoogroup.  

You can take the book to an office supply store, and often they will charge a couple of bucks to slice off the binding and 3 hole punch the entire book.  Then I took that home and stapled the individual lessons together and put it all into a 3 ring binder.  That way, I could pull out individual lessons as needed, sometimes 2 or 3 to plan ahead.  

This also makes it easier to go through several lessons and make a shopping list of materials so you'll be ready to go when your each that lesson.  

But here's another lesson that I learned the hardway.  Don't purchase elodea (freshwater plants for a bio lesson), put it on your shelf for several months, and then plan to use it later.  By the time I retrieved my "elodea" from my science supplies shelf...it was dead and brown, lol!  

PS, there are still folks on the yahoogroup, but it isn't as active anymore.  Most bfsu fans seem to have migrated to a similar facebook group, and they seem pretty active.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you heard this tip, but this is what I did, on the advice of someone from the bfsu yahoogroup.  

You can take the book to an office supply store, and often they will charge a couple of bucks to slice off the binding and 3 hole punch the entire book.  Then I took that home and stapled the individual lessons together and put it all into a 3 ring binder.  That way, I could pull out individual lessons as needed, sometimes 2 or 3 to plan ahead.  

This also makes it easier to go through several lessons and make a shopping list of materials so you'll be ready to go when your each that lesson.  

But here's another lesson that I learned the hardway.  Don't purchase elodea (freshwater plants for a bio lesson), put it on your shelf for several months, and then plan to use it later.  By the time I retrieved my "elodea" from my science supplies shelf...it was dead and brown, lol!  

PS, there are still folks on the yahoogroup, but it isn't as active anymore.  Most bfsu fans seem to have migrated to a similar facebook group, and they seem pretty active.  

Lol, thanks for the warning not to order anything living ahead of time :lol: I could totally see myself doing something like that!

I can't seem to find the Facebook page you mention. :confused1:

There's also a website where Dr. Nebel is posting online resources for each lesson.  I have found it to be very useful.  http://www.bfsucommunity.com/

Thanks for that, it does look very helpful and time saving.