Menu

Georgia State University Honors College

Joules

We went on a tour and were quite impressed.  I didn't see anyone else on the thread of acceptances, but I was wondering if anyone had experience to share.

The Honors College seems like it is an excellent support system in many ways.  It's the first one that really feels like a small LAC within a giant school to me.  Ds does have a small local LAC as a comparable option, but it doesn't seem like it has the academic excellence of the honors college.

The biggest downsides of GSU seem to be the crime and traffic/commute.

My FIL was a prof at GSU, and I've known lots of people who attended there, though no one currently. :-)

Unless things have changed, it was (is?) primarily a commuter school, which would be a negative for some, if they want the traditional on-campus dorm lifestyle. But you can definitely get a good, cost-effective education there.

Thanks!  It definitely has a commuter vibe (though the commute there is pretty awful).  The Honors College does have a Living Learning Community in a section of one of the dorms that seems nice.  He's such an introvert that the "college experience" doesn't appeal to him.  He's interested in the academics and interesting conversations.  Atlanta may just end up being too bustling for him, but it does look like a really good program.

In recent years, Georgia State has become less of a commuter school. I have had several students attend GSU and live there.

My oldest is at Georgia Tech. We live within commute distance and have a car for him to use, and he lives on campus. It is more expensive, but I wouldn't want him to have to commute.