Menu

dd wants to make youtube videos. what should I know?

Here are some safety ideas for you to consider:

The YouTube channel name shouldn't be her name.  Give it a title of some sort instead. 

No images of her as an avatar - use something related to what she wants to teach.  

Have her instruction format be a voice-over with visuals that don't include her facial image.  For example, my nephew did a number of videos showing people how to do things with their smart phones, and we could only see his hands and hear his voice. 

• Like 4

My 16 year old has a youtube channel. Maybe because she's been online for years (between Neopets, Webkinz and DIY) and we've been going over the rules for so long, I wasn't terribly strict about what she can and cannot do with her channel.

My main rules are to not give out your full name (and not to name her channel with her own name), don't give away your location, and if it's too personal to share with everyone, keep it off the internet. She's very shy and introverted, so I see this as a good experience for her, learning how to talk comfortably on camera and pushing herself out of her comfort zone a bit.

• Like 1