Menu

More interesting math links...

I wonder if we avoid some of this by using Singapore Math.  Is there similar "math politics" in Singapore, or has the program been designed top-down by someone with good sense?  Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.  :-D  

I do think all high schoolers need a basic statistics and basic accounting class, but think those should be in addition to "normal" math classes.  

As mentioned in the article's comments, the author could have chosen ANY subject, and show the constant battle between practicality, art, and expertise, political motives vs teacher's instincts, relevant now vs "classic" knowledge, etc.  

Really, there is no school system or curriculum that will be universally satisfying to onlookers...  What is unfortunate is that the constant tug-of-war means that NOTHING is improved, they are just constantly ripped apart and rebuilt instead.  

• Like 2

I wonder if we avoid some of this by using Singapore Math.  Is there similar "math politics" in Singapore, or has the program been designed top-down by someone with good sense?  Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.  :-D  

I do think all high schoolers need a basic statistics and basic accounting class, but think those should be in addition to "normal" math classes.  

As mentioned in the article's comments, the author could have chosen ANY subject, and show the constant battle between practicality, art, and expertise, political motives vs teacher's instincts, relevant now vs "classic" knowledge, etc.  

Really, there is no school system or curriculum that will be universally satisfying to onlookers...  What is unfortunate is that the constant tug-of-war means that NOTHING is improved, they are just constantly ripped apart and rebuilt instead.  

I completely agree with the bolded.  The first part is, I suspect, an inevitable consequence of insisting on one-size-fits-all schooling. 

The end result for me is a return to a state of gratitude that I am able to homeschool; my DD would not be well-served in a standard public school.  (And sometimes it's nice-and necessary-to be reminded, at least around here.)

• Like 1