Menu

Foerster's Algebra 1 - Skipping a Chapter

I ordered the Algebra 1 Home Study Companion from Math Without Borders. My version of the textbook has the chapter on BASIC programming which MWB left off. I'm fine with that. They have replaced it with a chapter I don't have - Linear Functions, Scattered Data and Probability. Is skipping that chapter going to be a problem, or should I look for a copy that has it? I hate to have to get a whole new book for a short four lesson chapter. Thoughts?

Edited by skirch

We used Foerster for our review and did do some problems from that chapter. It's a very short chapter and I would not get a new book for it, but just find the relevant topics on Khan if you want to cover them. We did the algebra 1 intro to functions on Khan, since neither AoPS nor Foerster was explicit about them. However, algebra 2 is all about functions, so that wasn't really necessary, either.

Foerster algebra 2 covers more probability as well. I don't know how much difference there is in what is covered in the two books. However, Khan has probability under "probability and statistics" so you could just go over those sections. I think those types of problems do tend to show up on standardized tests, plus a basic understanding of statistics is practical knowledge.

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 1

You may be able order a copy from your local library and take notes on the missing chapter to cover it or maybe someone with that edition just summarize each lesson from that chapter and PM it to you.

What edition (year) has this new chapter?

Edited by MarkT

The lesson on linear functions is in chapter 14 in the old version of the textbook, so you wouldn't need to look for an outside source to cover it. The other two topics aren't in the book anywhere, though; I looked in the index (I am currently using the same version with my oldest).

• Like 1