Menu

BEAST n business coop

MotherOfBoys

I'd like to do a math/problem solving club in a coop. The age group is 9-12 yr olds. Max 12 kids. Does either of these options seem doable? Got something better?

I was wondering if beast academy level 3, just the guide, could be read and solve the in guide problems in pairs or as a small group? We already have the guides and went through them but my son loves them and would do them again. I want to inspire fun math and teamwork.

The other option is Your Business Math, probably the sports or pet one. I don't own this but I've wanted to do it. We meet for about 12 classes. Every other week. Is this enough time? Does each kid need a book or could we do one store together? Parents will not spend more than $10 on a class. The books are $24.

Requirement for both classes should be in fourth grade math?

Classes could be one hour or hour and a half. Do both in the longer class?

I'm hoping to find kids that like math as much as my son. Math friends.

Ideas. Thanks.

I think the in guide problems in BA are much easier than the practice problems, and that you will have a better chance of challenging the kids beyond basic math skills if you used more challenging problems. What about talking about a strategy for problem solving using the guide but then working harder problems?

Also, how do you share one guide amongst 6 pairs of students?

I'm not familiar with the other book.

Some other things to consider: recreational math puzzles (a la Howard Gardner, the Moscow Puzzles), Zacarro problem solving books, one of the MSRI math circle books (on Amazon), Singapore challenging word problems book, or the Math Circle in a Box, National Math Club by Mathcounts, or any of a number of resources at Math Kangaroo.

I think that if you search on here for "math circle" you will get several good threads, with links and suggestions, and people's experiences, for running a math group. I've done two separate groups at our co-op and they were so much fun for me to lead and to get other kids besides my own excited about math! Best Wishes!

• Like 1

I've done the business math in our co op for the last two years. The first year I did two different classes but one had 12 and the other 15 students. We had 14 class sessions and were able to complete it but we all did one store together. I let some things be chosen as a vote and other things they took turns picking.

This year I inly have 5 students and I'm letting them each do their own. It takes a little more time helping them with the math but both ways has worked well and I've gotten a lot of compliments on the classes.

My classes were 5th and 6th grade and this year I have some 4th graders in it as well.

• Like 1

I like the MEOMS book from what I can see. We had our first coop planning meeting last night and they want to make it every week now. That's 23 Friday's for one hour. A lot more than twice a month. I'm nervous about the work ethic and perseverance in a math club class. None of us in my coop have ever seen a math club outside of my small one in public school. Thank you for the input. I'll probably have to do both MEOMS and business math to have enough.

Searching for "math circles" was a big help! I found a thread that led me to a math circles diary book. Thank you.

Edited by MotherOfBoys