Menu

Free tax calculator

purplejackmama

Do you mean an online software program like TurboTax, but free?

Take a look at FreeTaxUSA and see if it would work for you.

There's always FreeFileFillableForms (PDF forms from IRS - fill out the forms online and submit to IRS efile).

Personally, I'm a big fan of TurboTax and willing to pay for it, but I always look for a discount. This year, I went through the Fidelity website which offered a good discount.  I'm not a client of Fidelity, the discount is open to anyone.

Do you mean an online software program like TurboTax, but free?

Take a look at FreeTaxUSA and see if it would work for you.

There's always FreeFileFillableForms (PDF forms from IRS - fill out the forms online and submit to IRS efile).

Personally, I'm a big fan of TurboTax and willing to pay for it, but I always look for a discount. This year, I went through the Fidelity website which offered a good discount. I'm not a client of Fidelity, the discount is open to anyone.

No I am just looking for a calculator to check my CPA's numbers :)

Your CPA probably used a software program to prepare your return and do the math. The best way to check it for accuracy is to compare your return to your tax forms, business records and receipts and make sure the numbers match and then ask your CPA to walk you through it and answer any questions you might have. A typo on the inputs or omitting a form or deduction is more likely than the software miscalculating your tax.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Your CPA probably used a software program to prepare your return and do the math. The best way to check it for accuracy is to compare your return to your tax forms, business records and receipts and make sure the numbers match and then ask your CPA to walk you through it and answer any questions you might have. A typo on the inputs or omitting a form or deduction is more likely than the software miscalculating your tax.

Thanks Lucy, I just don't want to write this big check. :(

Thanks Lucy, I just don't want to write this big check. :(

It's totally reasonable to ask him or her to explain the return to you section by section and make sure that nothing was missed.  Comparing your documents to the return is also not a bad idea.  

If your tax situation isn't excessively complicated, you can try Turbo Tax's TaxCaster calculator.  It seems to allow you to enter the most common deductions if you itemize.  I ran our numbers and it matched our return but we have a fairly simple return- W-2, a few 1099s from my business, a few business expenses and married with two kids.  

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

On the slightly bright side you don't have to pay until 4/18 this year.  I know, whoop de do dah!  ;) 

• Like 1