Menu

Kindergarten/First grade curriculum

3girls4me

Hi ladies,

I have had a thread going today about HOD, but I am seeing that it isn't the best choice for my daughter next year.  She is 5. She'll be 6 in September, so while she will be registered as a kindergartner with the state, she'll be doing mostly 1st or 2nd grade level schoolwork.  She is my 3rd child, so is really sharp from trying to keep up with her sisters.  She is reading very fluently. Like pick up her sisters' chapter books (2nd and 4th grades) and starts reading them.  So we will likely do a spelling program that includes rules, but not phonics.  I'm trying to figure out what to use for her.  Here are some random thoughts.....

- I want her to have exposure to lots of great books, but don't want to read constantly because I will have a 6th and 3rd grader that will need help

- She likes "seat-work" a lot

- I need something planned out for me.  Heart of Dakota has worked so well for my oldest because the boxes are all there and you can check them off and move on.  When I've tried to come up with it all on my own, we just end up outside on the trampoline :)

- Heart of Dakota likely isn't a good fit for us until the Preparing Guide

- She reads super well, yet is only 5 (6 when we'll use the next program), so I am running into problems finding something to use that is fun and appropriate for her age, but isn't teaching her how to spell CAT

- I am considering just letting her sit in on her older sister in Preparing (HOD) for the history component then just piecing together the rest.  But I know the benefit of everything flowing together in one program.

I'm sure I'll think of more and will come back and add them.  But what do you suggest for her?  I really feel like this year, she's been kind of looked over because I bought HOD LGFHG, but didn't like it, so she ended up kind of floating around, doing random stuff here and there.  I know for her age, that's ok.  It is just that she really WANTS something "formal" to do.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Have you considered Sonlight?  I have used it with my older kids when they were younger, and they loved all the great books!  My younger two are starting P4/5 on Monday. I find at this younger level the reading does not take that long.  We might do bible, history, and science in the morning; and then read the read aloud before bed.  

I ordered HOD LHFHG twice, and sold it twice.  I wanted to love it, but I just don't think it is for us.  Another options would be Five in a Row.  We read through many of the FIAR books just for fun.

Another vote for Sonlight. I am using it with Miss 5 and I am really liking it. You can pick whichever level of reading/LA that you would need for your child .

I use workbooks along with the SL package - my girl also really likes her 'seatwork' - and together it works well.

MFW Adventures? Or just something like Abeka, BJU, etc... Since you mentioned she likes seat work and you can't be reading a lot. I saw your other thread and for the record I much prefer Beyond over little hearts. I didn't care for little hearts all that much but beyond feels different and more enjoyable. My daughter loves learning about the pilgrims so that helps! You could add cursive as well if you need more seat work.

Check out Memoria Press. We are really enjoying their K Enrichment book. Each week has a book to read with reading comprehension questions. They have all been classic picture books that frankly looked dated and boring to me so I never would have picked them up but have all been really special especially in conjunction with the questions. They point out details in the illustrations that I'm sure I would have missed and tie the story back to great points about history, character and the Bible. Each week is usually geared around a topic like bats, owls, snow, etc. or the holiday on the calendar like Presidents Day or Easter. They recommend extra books on the topic, an artist, poetry and composer study and a short science topic. I will definitely be adding the 1st grade book next year. There's also a craft book that goes with it that incorporates a little craft to match the book like making a little paper bat to go along with the Story Stellaluna.

DS is reading very well and I'm considering adding MP and/or Veritas Press reading programs for additional reading comprehension practice since I've been so impressed with MP's questions. They looked pretty comparable with a book for the child to read and then some wtiting activities about it.

Check out Memoria Press. We are really enjoying their K Enrichment book. Each week has a book to read with reading comprehension questions. They have all been classic picture books that frankly looked dated and boring to me so I never would have picked them up but have all been really special especially in conjunction with the questions. They point out details in the illustrations that I'm sure I would have missed and tie the story back to great points about history, character and the Bible. Each week is usually geared around a topic like bats, owls, snow, etc. or the holiday on the calendar like Presidents Day or Easter. They recommend extra books on the topic, an artist, poetry and composer study and a short science topic. I will definitely be adding the 1st grade book next year. There's also a craft book that goes with it that incorporates a little craft to match the book like making a little paper bat to go along with the Story Stellaluna.

DS is reading very well and I'm considering adding MP and/or Veritas Press reading programs for additional reading comprehension practice since I've been so impressed with MP's questions. They looked pretty comparable with a book for the child to read and then some wtiting activities about it.

Great idea.  I've bought a couple of items here and there from MP, but I've never really looked at their entire programs.  I took a quick glance and it looks really good.  I'll be sure to check it out further.

I had a six year-old in the same boat.  We used Preparing, and she listened in on all the readings including poetry. My dc love, love, love Grandpa's Box, btw.  I did math (Right Start) and language arts (The Phonics Road to Reading and Spelling) separately.  When my dd had independent science and history in Preparing, my 6 year old would do her own independent readings out of Abeka's 1st and 2nd grade history and science books.  I had her narrate and do her own notebook pages once a week.  She is now in Preparing on her own and loves it. 

It may be that this one will need a pieced together program if her reading skills are advanced.

We've really enjoyed AAS for spelling and its incorporation of dictation (plus handwriting practice for us). Level 1 would begin with short vowel words, but halfway through you begin working on spelling words with blends and that is where the short phrases for dictation also begins.

I use the Sonlight readers to know what order books should be given in, and I also use MP's enrichment program so that I don't forget about the beautiful literature, art, and music that I also want to include.

Good luck finding materials that are appropriate for your outlier!