Menu

Newbie Latin Question (Cross Posted)

I am looking at the "I Speak Latin" samples online.   I noticed that they use the command "conside" in lesson 1 to tell the child to sit down.   Can anyone tell me the difference between this word and "sede"?  

Our only other experience is Song School Latin.   My children learned to use the command "sede" to tell a single person to sit.   We are all curious as to the difference in meaning between these two commands.   

Edited by TheAttachedMama

Consido means settle down, to sit down in assembly or court, to take up a position, etc. according to Cassell's Latin/English dictionary. So instead of just "Sit down" you get the idea of "Settle down, there." That's my take on it anyway. Interesting verb.

ETA: It also appears to be that there is a subtle difference between Sedeo being a more passive kind of "sit" and Consido as an active kind of "sit." Almost as if sedeo can carry the idea of "to remain in place" and consido means to go from one position to that of a sitting one. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

Let me know what you decide about ISL. :)

As crazy as this might sound, I think I am going to use a combination of ISL and GSWL next year.   GSWL will be my main course of study.   I feel like it is much more open and go, and I suspect it will get done the majority of days.   I like how short the lessons are--and I think my kids will have fun with the translation exercises.  

However, I see a lot of benefits to ISL with my particular kids.  (They are dyslexic, so I suspect they would benefit from a more natural approach to the language.)    Not to mention, my kids thought the sample lessons were really fun.   It felt like a game.   My only concern is my ability to prep for the lessons each day.   I have a feeling that ISL alone might not get in on busy days when I don't have time to preview the lesson and listen to pronunciations.  (I make even Barbarians look bad when I try to speak Latin!)

After that, I think we will use Visual Latin with Lingua Latina -OR- Cambridge Latin much the same way.   (With some CM style dictation and copywork thrown in with Lingua Latina / Cambridge Latin.)   However, all of these plans are just tentative.   I am still in the research phase and just started a new post about this exact topic on the K-8 curriculum board.   

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Like 2