Menu

Song of Niebelung

I heard it recommended that a book on the Medieval book list should be Song of Niebelungs.  Can anyone recommend a good children's version of this?  I found a silent movie by Fritz Lang that we might get.  Then I found a graphic novel called Ring of Nibelung, but it seems to be more about an opera based on Song of Niebelung so I'm afraid the story is different?  Also it's over 400 pages, and that's just a bit much.  

Anybody able to recommend anything?  It is for my high schooler, but she is a visual spatial learner and at level, not super advanced, so I'm not sure just a translation of the original poem would work.  I'm more about understanding the story rather than reading the original work.  Children's books work really well to convey plot for us.

Thoughts?

Richard Wagner's four operas in the Ring cycle are a good to know as part of being familiar with cultural heritage in general. There are videos with subtitles, but each opera is long! My suggestion would be to get a cd from library with some orchestral selections from the Ring. I know you said your dd was a visual learner, but the music might be a nice addition to whatever other source you find.

ETA

I am too old fashioned. You Tube has it all.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9hznQe0DlZE

No video, but a classic, gorgeous!

Edited by Alessandra