Menu

Latin Self-Study

My kids are still little and I'd like to tackle Latin before I need to teach it to them. I already own Henle, but I'd like to get a study guide to go with it. Which one would you recommend and why? Anything else that I should consider using in my study? Thanks!

No recommendation for the study guide, but you should have a good dictionary. The New College Latin and English Dictionary by John Traupman is very good...and inexpensive! You can get it for about $6, new. Be sure to get the most recent (3rd edition, Revised and Updated). The reference grammar for Henle is quite good. The Wheelock's Latin website has very good pronunciation audio (if you're going to learn Classical pronunciation.)

Hi Lisa,

There is a syllabus written by Laura Berquist. You can read about it Here

I have never used a syllabus for my own self-study.

Along with Henle, I'd recommend getting a copy of Lingua Latina by Hans Oerberg. You can read about it and purchase it Here

Lingua Latina can be used as a stand-alone text for Latin study, or as a supplemental "reader". Many recommend that you complete several units of Henle before beginning LL, as the grammar covered is out of sequence with Henle. LL will provide you with practice reading "Latin as Latin", a practice that is lacking in standard grammar/translation texts. I tried using Henle in my own self-study, but was having trouble understanding what all of the grammar concepts meant. It was only after reading several chapters in Lingua Latina that the Latin started to "click" and make sense. A Henle/LL combination will make a nice, well-rounded curriculum for the self-study of Latin. Once you get your feet wet, you may decide to use LL exclusively. There is a new grammar guide for LL, called The College Companion, which explains all of the grammar concepts for each chapter in English. I think there are samples of it on the Focus site.

I highly recommend using LL with Henle. :001_smile:

For now, you will need the Henle text, Henle grammar, which is used with all of the Henle texts. (I really like Henle's grammar. I think it is one of the best grammars out there.) And a Henle answer key. (I am not sure if the Berquist guide has a key in back.)

I would also recommend joining the Henle yahoo group. It is full of very helpful people, many of them are Latin teachers.

Good luck, and have fun! :001_smile:

Years ago Loyola University Press published a 'Teacher's Manual for Henle Latin Series -- First and Second Years' by Sister Mary Jeanne, S.N.D. It tells you what is important in each lesson and gives tips on getting it to stick. You can also get an answer keys from there.

Note most of the curriculum suppliers for Henle now recommend Henle First Year for 2 years, so Henle Second Year is sold for Latin III. It can get confusing.

Good luck with your studies.

My kids are still little and I'd like to tackle Latin before I need to teach it to them. I already own Henle, but I'd like to get a study guide to go with it. Which one would you recommend and why? Anything else that I should consider using in my study? Thanks!

The Memoria Press study guide.

A common complaint is it moves too slowly.

My thoughts? So what. *wink

If it moves too slowly, do two days worth of assignments in one day.

If you get stumped for a couple days, repeat the same day until it cames easily to you.

All latin study is student paced, even if you are middled-aged, even if you are 16, even if you are 7.

:-)

I will add though if your kids are young, you don't need to study ahead for Latin.

Prima Latina

Latina Christiana 1, and

Latina Christiana 2

are really so very little Latin. That's why little kids can do it. It's hardly any Latin. It's like 2 months of high school latin book.

:-)

So you will be able to learn it more quickly than they will and if you write up your own flashcards for them, that will be enough right there to tackle the material.

So you can wait and just say an hour ahead of them and you will be fine.

http://www.MemoriaPress.com

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I think I'll be putting the Lingua Latina books on my Christmas wish list. :) I've also been looking online at the various options for guides, which I think will help with motivation. I also found a guide from Memoria Press. Can anyone compare this to the guide from Laura Berquist? Thanks again.

I think I'm going to try the guide from Memoria Press. It seems like it will fit the speed that I can handle right now and will tell me exactly what I need to do. I'm still trying to figure out which books I need for Lingua Latina. I found quite a few for level one! Do I need them all?

I would start out with the text: Lingua Latina:Familia Romana and the Teacher's Materials. That will give you the answers to the Pensa exercises, which are at the end of each chapter. It also gives the answers to the Exercitia, which is a separate text containing further exercises. You don't need the Exercitia right now, as the Pensa will suffice. This way, you can try out Oerberg's method without spending more $ than you have to.

The College Companion is another resource which explains all of the grammar, in English, for each chapter in the text. It also lists the vocabulary, with English translation for all new words covered in each chapter. Latine Doceo, which is a lot less expensive, will also explain the grammar concepts in English. You can purchase that instead of the College Companion. It does not offer vocabulary meanings. I believe Focus still sells a small vocabulary booklet at a very reasonable price.

Again, all you need is the text, the answers, Latine Doceo & the vocabulary booklet. (Although it is tantamount to the Oerberg method that you use the vocabulary booklet sparingly. This is an immersion text, and you should give your brain a chance to process and understand the language before falling back on vocabulary glosses. You will be amazed at how several readings will clarify meanings.) This is the least expensive way to give LL a try.

Hope that helps! :001_smile: