Menu

Online writing courses - grade 6

I am thinking of enrolling my dd in an online writing course next year.  It's the thing she resists most from me and it would be nice if she had some outside accountability. 

Any suggestions or reccomendations would be great!  (Or alterativly something not online but a good one year program - dd will be heading to French immersion the next year.)

My son has also had a very good experience with taking Expository 1 at WTMA.  My son happens to have the same teacher as fourisenough's child, but does not do everything independently. He likes to have me proofread his work, and he likes me to review his instructions before he starts an assignment. But, that is fine with me. It is much less involvement than when I did WWS1 with his older brother, lol.

It could be a difference in personality or the fact that my son is a 5th grader, a bit young for the class. But, I don't feel like I am overly involved, it is more that ds2 is an anxious and perfectionist sort of kid, and so I review instructions with him etc to reassure.

But, we feel like it has been worth every penny.  Only 'problem' is that now ds2 wants to take more classes next year. But...I have all this cool curriculum just hanging around the house. You mean I can't use it ? :crying:

• Like 2

We used Home2Teach writing classes this year for my 6th grader who was resistant (well beyond "reluctant") and behind.  We had tried co-op classes and various writing curricula over the years (including IEW, Jump In, and others).  He truly blossomed this year, and I think we're over the difficulties (both attitude and ability).  The feedback from the teachers have been truly helpful (not just correcting a few spelling or grammatical errors but actually teaching the craft of communicating thoughts effectively in a written form).

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

We used Home2Teach writing classes this year for my 6th grader who was resistant (well beyond "reluctant") and behind.  We had tried co-op classes and various writing curricula over the years (including IEW, Jump In, and others).  He truly blossomed this year, and I think we're over the difficulties (both attitude and ability).  The feedback from the teachers have been truly helpful (not just correcting a few spelling or grammatical errors but actually teaching the craft of communicating thoughts effectively in a written form).

Would you mind sharing which class he took?  I'm thinking about this for my ds going into 7th.  Thanks.