Menu

S/O leaving appliances on a children home..

bettyandbob

I found it odd that OK one poster said they wouldn't leave an appliance on when a child was home in case the child didn't know what to do if there was a fire.

I could see saying you didn't want you child to have to deal with a fire related emergency, perhaps that's what the poster meant. If the child is home alone shouldn't he know what to do for a fire emergency or any other emergency.

There was a fire on my street last year that was devastating in that two homes were total losses and a two more heavily damaged. The first started as a result of faulty wiring installed by the phone company. The owner of the home where the fire started did not do anything that caused the fire. Thankfully no people were home and no people were injured. One pet was killed. So, appliances are not the only source of fire.

Thankfully we haven't dealt with fire. Ds did need to take shelter during a tornado when he was 10. He followed precautions way better than many adults.

Even kids who aren't old enough to leave alone at home should be taught what to do in a fire.  The firemen teach skills to young kids because you never know when a fire might happen.  Electrical wiring fires do happen and without warning. Teaching children to crawl on the floor when there is a fire with smoke is very important. Teaching stop, drop and roll is also important.