Menu

2nd grade science- Christian Kids Explore or Elemental Science?

I feel like I posted a lot about science last spring. I was all for doing interest-led biology type stuff, following the WTM model for 20 weeks of animals, 10 weeks of anatomy, and 6 weeks of plants. I found very quickly in September that this wasn't a good fit for us, mostly because it was hard to lay out in advance. We have been doing Mr. Q's science, very loosely. 

I kind of feel like I have failed the kids for science and for biology this first year. I know it's just supposed to be intro and fun, but they love science and I just feel like I haven't been tapping into that. Not having a plan overwhelms me. 

So, I want a book for next year. I want it all laid out. If it is laid out, we will do it, the kids will know what to expect, and I won't feel like a failure. I like the WTM idea of cycling through the 4 main catergories 3 times, so I want to do earth and space next year. The kids are so excited about doing space and volcanoes and earth quakes and all that.

The two programs I am looking at are Christian Kids Explore and Elemental Science. Any experiences?

Thanks!

My daughters did Elemental's Earth Science & Astronomy last year as 1st and 3rd graders. 

What I liked:
- Easy to find supplemental books

- Experiment kit available for purchase

- Experiments were easy to duplicate and fun

- Fairly open-and-go

What I didn't like:
- The same format each week got a little boring.

- Too much written narration, especially for my younger one.

- Internet links from Usborne book didn't always work

- Not really enough information in the readings - I would have liked a list of extra books that we could pick up at the library for further investigations.

I have ES Chemistry on the shelf for us to do this spring/summer, but we may move to NOEO for Physics next year. I haven't looked into Christian Kids Explore.

Lana

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I feel like I posted a lot about science last spring. I was all for doing interest-led biology type stuff, following the WTM model for 20 weeks of animals, 10 weeks of anatomy, and 6 weeks of plants. I found very quickly in September that this wasn't a good fit for us, mostly because it was hard to lay out in advance. We have been doing Mr. Q's science, very loosely.

I kind of feel like I have failed the kids for science and for biology this first year. I know it's just supposed to be intro and fun, but they love science and I just feel like I haven't been tapping into that. Not having a plan overwhelms me.

So, I want a book for next year. I want it all laid out. If it is laid out, we will do it, the kids will know what to expect, and I won't feel like a failure. I like the WTM idea of cycling through the 4 main catergories 3 times, so I want to do earth and space next year. The kids are so excited about doing space and volcanoes and earth quakes and all that.

The two programs I am looking at are Christian Kids Explore and Elemental Science. Any experiences?

Thanks!

What did you end up using? I'm looking into both options for my 2nd and 1st graders 😉

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've done/tried both. This is my experience. We did Elemental Science Biology for the Grammar Stage in 1st. While it was not horrible and it got done, I didn't love it. Mainly because 20 weeks of animals was just looooong.

In 2nd grade I decided to try CKE Earth and Space. I hated it! It was completely unorganized, difficult to implement, and definitely not as user friendly as Elemental Science. We did about 6 weeks, scrapped the rest of the year, and finished with nature study for the remainder of our year.

In 3rd grade I decided to go back to Elemental Science, and since we didn't get much covered in Earth Science, I purchased Earth Science and Astronomy for the Grammar Stage. We are on Week 9, and I'm loving it. I actually like it a lot better than their Biology, it's getting done each week, and we're enjoying it.

Hope that helps!!!

• Like 1

I like Elemental Science and planning to do it next year again. I skipped some of the memory or writing assignments that looked boring. Some projects were better than others, but it gave me a good framework. This year, we are enjoying RS4K though. I am finding it gets done more than ES did, but this was mainly because I tried to supplement too much. I definitely shouldn't donthat. Now I outsource extra fun science stuff and stick to the curriculum. I also find that I need to gather all the supplies in a kit at the beginning of the year or I will blow off the experiment or spend too long scrounging around for supplies.