Menu

Math guidance needed for Geometry and beyond

Joy is just about done with Lial's Introductory Algebra/Algebra 1 (two more chapters to go) and I have no idea what to do next.

Background:

CLE Math 7 and Lial's Prealgebra really gave her a great foundation in Algebra to the extent that I have allowed her to to the tests and quizzes only for Lial's Introductory to Algebra/Algebra 1. She has missed no more than 3 problems on each one and is immediately able to spot her errors after I return her work.

I thought after a few chapters, she would run into something she needed to dig into and learn, but she really gets it. She is very much a self-learner and I rarely have to step in and help her with a concept.

She has fiddled with some Patty Paper Geometry and and another free program mentioned by you awesome Hive members, but nothing formal or vigorous.

I am looking for a solid Geometry program that is well laid-out and self-explanatory. I had a solid B average in high school geometry way back when the earth was still flat, so I would definitely need to brush up on the concepts. I am looking for a textbook program as she has vision issues that make computer usage difficult for her. When I studied geometry, it was the proof, the whole proof, and nothing but the proof. I don't know if that has changed or not, so I don't know how to evaluate the available programs.

Suggestions, please?

I have Lial's intermediate Algebra/Algebra 2 lined up to follow geometry, if that makes any difference.

Thank you for your help!

We're using Jacobs geometry (3rd ed). I chose it because it had good reviews on this board and because our local high school uses it for their honors geometry course. Since my daughter will start there next year, I wanted her to have had a similar math background. I've been working along side her for most lessons and have found the book clear. Much of the learning happens in the problem sets. It's been a little tricky to figure out which problems to assign. Usually we do both set 1 and 2, but I sometimes take out groups of problems that look annoying or redundant.

• Like 2

We used Jurgensen which is one of the classic standards by which many other math books are compared.  It masterfully weaves proofs throughout the text.  In our case, we used the text in conjunction with an online class at Wilson Hill Academy.  However, there are those who go through it on there own or along with other guides.  If you haven't already seem it, take a look at the master Geometry thread which describes many options including Jurgensen usages:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/542418-homeschooling-high-school-math/?do=findComment&comment=6191107

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 1

I would recommend Jurgensen.  The lessons are straightforward and easy to read.  It may be a little on the dry side.

Another option would be Jacobs (2nd ed. is reputed to have more proofs and better organization than the 3rd ed.)

It's hard to tell from your post, but if you have an especially talented math student who may be looking for a different perspective or greater challenge, take a look at AoPS.

I went through a major Geometry search last month, and finally settled on Geometry: A Fresh Approach by Christy Walters.  We haven't started using it yet, so I have no idea how it will work!

But what appealed to us: Shannon wants a self-study program where the explanations are all in the book. She doesn't want a video-based program, although we do use videos to help explain concepts as needed. But she doesn't want to sit through slow video lectures/explanations and didn't like any of the video-based programs we looked at.  I wanted proofs, and worked-out problem sets, and tests.  

Here are the reviews that clinched the deal:

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/math/Fresh-Approach-Algebra-and-Geometry.htm

http://www.aplusses.com/documents/DrWileGeometry.pdf

We'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

I use Jacob's third edition. It is my favorite geometry text. But I love teaching geometry! We follow with Lial's intermediate algebra, then Sullivan pre-calculus, and then for the boys that move on to calc 1, we use whatever calc 1 text U of Michigan Flint uses so it dovetails nicely into DE with that college if we choose to go that route.

A bit more info on Joy...

She is a very conscientious student and does well in everything. I have not had to really "teach" her anything since she learned to read well by the time she was in second grade. A little clarification here and there, and she is off and running. She has great aptitude for mathematics, but does not really enjoy it. It is a do it and get it done subject in her mind.

As far as future plans go, she is the child who would succeed well in higher academics, but doesn't really have any ambitions. I am just trying to keep her challenged while still giving her plenty of time for her interests. I can see her being a professional student for the rest of her life.

I have been tossing around the idea of enrolling her in the American School (or something similar) followed by an online degree, just to make sure she has a degree in hand so she has a marketable future before she leaves home.

My daughter used Lial's Beginning Algebra (Algebra I) and then Jacobs' Geometry, 2nd edition.  She then followed that with Lial's Intermediate Algebra (Algebra II).  She did Algebra I independently; however, my husband did teach/oversee the following two courses.

Regards,

Kareni