Menu

Science for 12yo and 14yo

jamnkats

I have math, writing, spanish and literature under control. I'm adding Art and Science as materials come available (when we go back to the US to get our materials). We have always unschooled and my boys (12 and 14) are, with my gentle encouragement, challenging themselves and adding academia this year for the first time. We've always read and discussed a lot but never did any formal academia.

So they're doing TT Math 7 but the 14yo is "getting" the concepts slower than his 12yo (though I believe the 14yo is more intelligent - he doesn't feel a calling to math but he'll continue to challenge himself). The 12yo is going methodically through TT Math 7 and getting very few answers wrong. The boys have never done formal fractions or long division or multiple digit multiplication, though from real life they do understand fractions and percentages.

I'm going over their math ability because I think Science really hinges on math. The 14yo is interested in Chemistry mainly to "blow things up". :) Good enough.

I got some TOPS experiments (Magnetic and Electricity) but it looks like we've done a LOT of the TOPS stuff just in messing around and "experimenting" without involving any formal science whatsoever. So they're not adding to the boys knowledge base. I've looked into more formal science via internet links (we've just started the Maps sections of http://www.msnucleus.org/membership/html/jh/earth/index.html and the first chapter of http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/contents.html) and we're finding it not all that interesting but I suppose it could be worse.

I have some Horrible Science books (4 of them) waiting for us to cross the border and try them, I have perused this link of Literature-based science but I'm not finding much for the boys (but do have stuff for the girls penciled in) I have Archimedes and the Door to Science on a list to purchase, from this link of CM living books it looks like Walden might be a good choice for the boys' level, I have perused another list of literature but don't really see anything at the boys' level, this thread was good for Biology but the boys are interested, again, in "blowing things up" :), and this thread led me to Real-Life Science and Power Science at Walsh publishing.

I'm having a hard time finding threads on Real-life science as the search here brings up so many false positives (I wish I could search on the exact term and not bring up each and every "real" or "life" instance hit in a thread).

So, I'm looking for science recommendations for the boys and in a secular non-textbooky manner. I'm going to go back over the literature-based threads and links I linked above but if anyone has any recommendations or experience with the Walsh materials (they look "light" for you guys but since this is our first foray into academia I need something engaging) I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

We've tried a number of science approaches with my younger two, including what you've mentioned. In the end, we're doing Real Science 4 Kids. It does have a text, but very readable. There's no interpretation, so it can be as secular as you like. We're augmenting it with our various secular science encyclopedias, trips to the library, etc. fwiw, we're not secular, per se, we just don't agree with all the theology in most Christian science texts.

What about the Mastery Program from Supercharged Science?

http://www.superchargedscience.com/mastery.htm

If you scroll down to the very bottom, you can get the book part for $99 and then you have onlince access to any videos? Most of the items are pretty easy to get - i can't think of many you might have an issue finding (we got a great deal on the whole thing at COnvention).

It might be a bit light/easier for the 12 & 14yo - BUT, it would be a great starting point. The stuff is easy to follow and fun. It's not really text-booky either. Think of it as a big ole book of fun things to do! There is plenty to dive into deeper when you want to... and it fits your no shipping criteria :D

OTherwise, well, i'm out of ideas!