Menu

Evolutionary Biology at Gr. 5-8 level?

strawberryjam

We are currently reading a book called The Mystery of Life by Jan Paul Schutten and I think it would fit that criteria.  Very little dinosaurs.  The subtitle is "How Nothing Became Everything" if that gives you any idea.  Although I am reading it to grades 3-4 kids, I think it could easily be for older kids as some of it is a bit above their heads.

In conjunction with that we are watching some videos from Howard Hughes Medical Institute, which offers free videos.  See link at bottom of page http://www.hhmi.org/educational-materials to order them.  So far Your Inner Fish is the one we have that is most closely aligned with what you are looking for.

• Like 2

Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came to Be, by Daniel Loxton

ETA: if you search for it on Amazon, also scroll down to the section on "Customers Also Bought" . . . lots of other good options also show up there.

Edited by TarynB

Build Your Library has an evolution unit study that's really good looking. Even if you don't use it, the book list is great. One of the reasons I didn't get it is that we've already read (and loved) the literature piece for it - The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate.

We are currently reading a book called The Mystery of Life by Jan Paul Schutten and I think it would fit that criteria.  Very little dinosaurs.  The subtitle is "How Nothing Became Everything" if that gives you any idea.  Although I am reading it to grades 3-4 kids, I think it could easily be for older kids as some of it is a bit above their heads.

In conjunction with that we are watching some videos from Howard Hughes Medical Institute, which offers free videos.  See link at bottom of page http://www.hhmi.org/educational-materials to order them.  So far Your Inner Fish is the one we have that is most closely aligned with what you are looking for.

That looks pretty cool. I think that's the kind of thing he's looking for. Thanks!