Menu

Has anyone used or checked out Beacon College?

TraceyS/FL

They are here in my general town - right down the street from where we go to gymnastics.

I'm long while from needing them (well, i still think my oldest has ADD), but thought i should put them on my radar. Since they are local - it will be easier to do.

http://www.beaconcollege.edu/

I have no idea if my middle child would even be on the college path - but having a place like this for her to go to might just be wonderful.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on them, and if there are other places like this out there. It just gives me hope for a child that is going to be slow in getting to the end of mandatory schooling.

Ours would be less - we live about 6 miles away (small amount on top of the overall). In fact, ironically, she'd have to drive PAST Beacon to get to the CC, it's about 15 miles away! LOL!!

But honestly, right now, just the fact that there IS a place like this for her if she needs it is a blessing. It's a glimmer of hope - when i seriously had none for her (and i know a lot can change between now and then - and still hold out that hope too). The fact that it is so close to home is better - this is not a child that i could see making it going off to school somewhere.

There is no chance of "us" being able to afford it, but we'd work something out if she wanted to go.

I hadn't even examined anything else out there - this one kinda jumped at me because of something i read locally, so i went to go read some. I'm just happy to know there are options that work with her, instead of against her.

I read a library book a few years ago by two young men with ADHD who went on to Harvard. At least one spent time at a college like this, where even the dean of students had ADHD, but "you'd never know it." Does anyone know the book I mean, or if this is the same college? The book was interesting, but it had so much foul language I just couldn't see buying it to read again.

ETA: I did a little Google searching and found it - I believe it was Landmark College.