Menu

Need help, ugh embarassing.....TOG LG- Y2U2

daisychics

Okay this is our 3rd week. First week was good, we even did a project on Artistic Pursuit. Our 2nd week was okay, I had to extend Week 12 to this week. Sooooo...

we finished reading Columbus by D'aulaire (awesome book), Encounter by Jane Yolen (good book), colored from Exploration of North America, Renaissance by Jane Shuter and Renaissance Artist Who Inspired the World. Also, while reading we traced the path of Columbus on the wall map (I don't have mapaids yet). Now what? I feel like it's not enough? :confused: or maybe I just don't know how to wrap it up. I just ordered the evaluations, will that help me? Will you help me?

**Plus, what do you do with Maps and Mapping by Barbara Taylor?

Not sure if this is much help, but I sometimes I felt like we were just stopping and so what I did was start on the next week and kept moving. Some weeks took a few more days and some weeks took a few less. I didn't try to keep it week by week.

If you want to keep it week by week, you may be able to fill in with cooking items (what they ate on the long journey), skits (have them act out what they have learned). I even used some of the discussion questions to dig deeper,my auditory child loved this.

HTH's

Okay this is our 3rd week. First week was good, we even did a project on Artistic Pursuit. Our 2nd week was okay, I had to extend Week 12 to this week. Sooooo...

we finished reading Columbus by D'aulaire (awesome book), Encounter by Jane Yolen (good book), colored from Exploration of North America, Renaissance by Jane Shuter and Renaissance Artist Who Inspired the World. Also, while reading we traced the path of Columbus on the wall map (I don't have mapaids yet). Now what? I feel like it's not enough? :confused: or maybe I just don't know how to wrap it up. I just ordered the evaluations, will that help me? Will you help me?

**Plus, what do you do with Maps and Mapping by Barbara Taylor?

What doesn't feel enough?? It seems you did a lot of things... read.... traced Columbus's route.... colored for an activity.....

I went to a workshop this weekend and have been completely re enspired..... How old is your dc??

Narration or retelling back what was read is a good way to tell what they learned.... evaluations just show what they don't know.... but at this age... you want to praise what they did learn..... if you continue w/ TOG or not.... chances are you will come back to this point in history....

As your child is coloring.... you can ask questions and have them tell you about what they learned.... this age is the parrot stage.... they also just tend to soak up infirmation..... what is it you are specifically looking for as for resluts...What were your goals for the week? Did you cover them? If so... you completed your week... be confident in that and move forward.... :)

HTH~

We do narrations along with our readings. Last week I had ds (6) narrate to me and I wrote down his narration in a mini-book. He illustrated it. Ds (8) narrated to me, I wrote it down, and he copied it into his mini-book. We're putting together a history scrapbook this year so I try to find a way to turn what we've read into something that can be added to the scrapbook.

Not sure if this is much help, but I sometimes I felt like we were just stopping and so what I did was start on the next week and kept moving. Some weeks took a few more days and some weeks took a few less. I didn't try to keep it week by week.

If you want to keep it week by week, you may be able to fill in with cooking items (what they ate on the long journey), skits (have them act out what they have learned). I even used some of the discussion questions to dig deeper,my auditory child loved this.

HTH's

This does help. Thank you.

Narration or retelling back what was read is a good way to tell what they learned.... evaluations just show what they don't know.... but at this age... you want to praise what they did learn..... if you continue w/ TOG or not.... chances are you will come back to this point in history....

HTH~

Thanks for the reminder. I guess I wanted to make sure that what he was narrating are the important parts. :D I guess notebooking will help me feel like we did something. I'm never quite sure with just reading a book and asking what he found interesting.