Menu

Stalled out in science this year, would like some guidance

I have very few people to ask IRL, so please bear with me.  

This year, the plan was for my 8th grader to use the Kolbe Biology syllabus to self-study, adding in a few wet labs instead of using the virtual lab CD that is recommended and sold by Kolbe.  We chose to go with a high school level science because she was definitely ready for the challenge, and she has shown interest in pursuing Biology as a major in college.  

Well, I dropped the ball with scheduling the readings and online components so she has only completed a few chapters or the equivalent of about 9 weeks of the course.  I am currently trying to decide what our options are for science for the remainder of the year, and am having difficulty with making a decision.  I will be taking some online courses so there will be continued limitations on my part with getting the labs completed, so that has to factor into the decision.

Here are the options:

• Push through the Biology materials we have, extending the school year out into the summer without labs
  • Push through, but try to obtain the virtual lab CD, which will likely disappoint my daughter
  • Switch completely to a different science -- with this option, I would likely pick something without a lab.  I like the looks of Derek Owens Physical Science.
  • By some miracle, find an online Biology class that will take her for one semester, that isn't too expensive, that uses the Miller Levine text.  ;)  (Maybe this isn't a long shot, I don't know.)

Thanks in advance.  

I have very few people to ask IRL, so please bear with me.  

This year, the plan was for my 8th grader to use the Kolbe Biology syllabus to self-study, adding in a few wet labs instead of using the virtual lab CD that is recommended and sold by Kolbe.  We chose to go with a high school level science because she was definitely ready for the challenge, and she has shown interest in pursuing Biology as a major in college.  

Well, I dropped the ball with scheduling the readings and online components so she has only completed a few chapters or the equivalent of about 9 weeks of the course.  I am currently trying to decide what our options are for science for the remainder of the year, and am having difficulty with making a decision.  I will be taking some online courses so there will be continued limitations on my part with getting the labs completed, so that has to factor into the decision.

Here are the options:

• Push through the Biology materials we have, extending the school year out into the summer without labs
  • Push through, but try to obtain the virtual lab CD, which will likely disappoint my daughter
  • Switch completely to a different science -- with this option, I would likely pick something without a lab.  I like the looks of Derek Owens Physical Science.
  • By some miracle, find an online Biology class that will take her for one semester, that isn't too expensive, that uses the Miller Levine text.   ;)  (Maybe this isn't a long shot, I don't know.)

Thanks in advance.  

I would just continue what you are doing now, even if it goes in to fall. Maybe even double up. My children slacked. Now they have homework on the weekends. They will likely continue those subjects in the fall.