Menu

Reviews for James Rollins books - Sandstorm, etc for an 11 year old?

Slipper

My husband loves James Rollins and has suggested that our youngest daughter (who is 11 years old) might enjoy reading them. We are fairly open about what our kids are allowed to read. I haven't read any of his books. The last book he suggested for her was The Martian (from a different author) which she really enjoyed but laughingly told me that her vocabulary expanded for words she's not allowed to say. She enjoys reading and can handle fairly mature content. 

I would not want her reading explicit details about sex, although I'm okay with her knowing that sex has taken place. (She can read that they slept together and had a wonderful night, but I don't want the details exposed to her at this age.) Violence is okay unless it's heavily detailed. 

Would these books be okay for her? I read some of the amazon reviews but didn't see anything concerning. My husband can be a bit clueless at times. :) I want to double-check before I give the okay. 

His stories get pretty intense action wise. Don't remember anything horribly explicit. What you can do to check is go on Amazon and do the "look inside" feature, then search for various words. That is what I do for my son who is sensitive but likes the more mature books.

• Like 1

I don't remember that specific story, but I have read a few James Rollins, and there is occasionally some explicit stuff.  Honestly, if you really want her to read them, you should definitely pre-read each one.  Some are more explicit than others.

As a for instance, in one of his books (Amazonia?), a mostly naked warrior lady is struggling to kill a guy, and she's about to, and he reaches down and pulls a knife out of her you-know-what, because apparently he knew the little known fact that females in her tribe like to keep an extra knife in that location.  He ends up killing her with that knife.  

• Like 1

I definitely would pre-read and knowing what I know about his stuff I would not allow my 11 year old to read them.  My husband likes his books....and I skimmed one on vacation one time.  I was pretty underwhelmed by it generally, but there were some sex-related things--nothing really scandalous to my memory, but then again I'm only skimming.  And I'm 38.  

Anyhow, my advice is to pre-read and decide for yourself!  

• Like 1

I just asked my husband, FWIW, and he at first said categorically NO, but then backed up and said maybe if pre-read you could decide...but he said one in particular, Subterranean, would not at all be appropriate.  He says there is a lot of death/destruction in them, so proceed with caution.