Menu

Does anyone know anything about neuromuscular therapy?

Jean in Newcastle

Studied it after massage school.  I know many seasoned practitioners who had good results with fibromyalgia patients...but...a lot depends on the experience of the therapist.  One way to possibly find a good practitioner is to see who in your area offers training for massage therapists and physical therapists.  The people giving the course are usually quite experienced and may make good therapists.  Here in the States, the teachers I remember were Judith Walker Delaney of the NMT Center and Paul St. John. (OK, Googling reveals that Paul has renamed his treatment Neurosomatic Therapy (probably to avoid confusion).) I did my training ages ago with Don Kelly (who works with Judith Walker.)   At the time, they were both NMT...and his was called the St. John method.

Not sure who the trainers/people are internationally, but I believe that Judith Walker has some sort of International NMT Association which might help.

You can find some NMT/Trigger Point therapy books as well...and info online if you want to try it yourself.  

You might also look into Myofascial Release.  John Upledger is one of the big guys regarding that (also craniosacral therapy.)

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

Umsami, if I can ask another follow up question. . .     can you tell me if what I describe is really neuromuscular therapy?

What I want is not just a massage or trigger point therapy.  What I want includes that, but I also want a therapist who will study my body mechanics and will basically teach me how to not be in chronic pain.  So I want correction on body mechanics and tips on (perhaps?) biofeedback.  I don't really know if I'm using the right terms or if all that I want really exists. 

Honestly, it depends on the therapist.  They should do that... but not all are comfortable with it, so I'd ask.  In theory, when you start, they should assess your posture, how you stand, etc.  Then you actually document this in the patient's chart...and based on that...it kind of tells you where they need work.

You could also look into Rolfing/Structural Integration therapy.  

• Like 1