Menu

How do you define "Special Needs"?

hsing1

I hope this isn't a dumb question. I guess I've just been thinking about this a lot lately.

In Early Start programs some dc are considered developmentally delayed and some are developmentally disabled. Both would receive services through the state and be considered "special needs". But often the developmentally delayed child catches up with love, therapy and time.

When dc are school age I don't hear the "delayed" tag.

When would something just be considered a "learning difference"?

So how do you define "Special Needs" in a school age child?

Thanks,

I googled the phrase "special needs" and "special needs in "children". Hope this helps. There are alot more sites and definitions out there, but hopefully these will suffice.

1. Special needs is a term used in clinical diagnostic and functional development to describe individuals who require assistance for disabilities such as medical, mental, or psychological.

2. One Term, Many Definitions: "Special Needs" is an umbrella underneath which a staggering array of diagnoses can be wedged. Children with special needs may have mild learning disabilities or profound mental retardation; food allergies or terminal illness; developmental delays that catch up quickly or remain entrenched; occasional panic attacks or serious psychiatric problems. The designation is useful for getting needed services, setting appropriate goals, and gaining understanding for a child and stressed family.

2. One Term, Many Definitions: "Special Needs" is an umbrella underneath which a staggering array of diagnoses can be wedged. Children with special needs may have mild learning disabilities or profound mental retardation; developmental delays that catch up quickly or remain entrenched. The designation is useful for getting needed services, setting appropriate goals, and gaining understanding for a child and stressed family.

Thanks so much for posting this. This really helped.

Blessings,

is something to glean from the info. Google: "special needs" and try "special needs in children".

In terms of a legal definition in the educational realm you would want to read a copy of your state statute and what it says. If you belong to a hs group, or know of other hs families in your community perhaps they could direct you further.

Blessings back to you!! Sheryl <><

I've concluded that "special needs" can be applied to any child who struggles. I consider my 13 year old to have special needs, but a lot of outsiders don't immediately see it from looking at him and talking to him. He was tested at 4 years old and found to be "significantly developmentally delayed" with evidence of "pervasive development disorder", a clinical generalized term with no specifics. I think that in order for a child to qualify for services, the labels are needed, but beyond that I think that "special needs" is itself a vague description that can only be quantified by the unique needs of the individual. I'm not sure if this is the kind of answer you're looking for, but it's my 2 cents, being a mom of a definitely "special needs" child.