Menu

FAFSA question for those who have done this before

AngieW in Texas

We never filled out FAFSA before because our two older girls got full tuition scholarships and our EFC was higher than room&board.

Our youngest is heading off to college next year. She is the only one of our girls who had a desire to go out of state. The colleges she is interested in are significantly more expensive than the in-state college my others went to.

She has received scholarship offers from her top two choices, but even after the scholarships, these schools are about $35,000/year overall.

We will definitely be filing FAFSA this time around.

Our oldest is not going to school anymore, but is still living at home. She is 22yo. Does she count as a member of the household for FAFSA purposes? She is currently working and saving her money to be able to go back to school in another year or two to finish off her last 9 classes. Her grades took a nosedive her last year in school and she lost her scholarship and didn't want to go to school any more.

Our middle dd will be in grad school next year (hopefully). Will she still count as a sibling in college for FAFSA purposes since she will also be considered independent for financial purposes as a grad student?

As long as you are providing half of her support, your dd counts as a member of the household. The dd in graduate school does not count as a student from what I can find. This is one reason I hate FAFSA, they need information that you don't have yet.

Edited by Lolly