Menu

If you don't know what you want to be...

I thought this was a good TED talk and wanted to share here especially in the light of how sometimes as parents we worry about kids who don't know what they want to be or do. So much of it rang true for me. I remember wanting to be so many things and being forced to choose by societal pressure. The video is at the bottom of the article.

http://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2015/12/10/when-one-career-path-isnt-enough/

• Like 2

I thought this was a good TED talk and wanted to share here especially in the light of how sometimes as parents we worry about kids who don't know what they want to be or do. So much of it rang true for me. I remember wanting to be so many things and being forced to choose by societal pressure. The video is at the bottom of the article.

http://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2015/12/10/when-one-career-path-isnt-enough/

I thought she had some good things to share, but didn't address questions I find we're struggling with. 

I think the idea of "one career" or "one calling" is something that was more true in the days of the apprenticeship type of society, but is less true today (though it is still true for some)--many people have multiple careers or serial careers now. I was trying to help my son understand the other day that choosing a major actually doesn't pigeon-hole one as much as he thinks (and fears) that it will. Many majors are much more flexible than that and really don't do much to narrow down what kind of career you might end up with. My son's issue isn't so much "too many interests" or "going from thing to thing" but really not knowing what he's interested in at all. I do think he's afraid to choose a major now because it will feel like "settling" for something rather than finding a passion--and then that he might find that passion later but be too far down the college track to be able to pursue it (in his mind).

We did career exploration things in high school, but it basically just helped him see some things he'd like to NOT do--which is somewhat helpful, but not totally!

I want him to visit the career center over Christmas break so that he can explore some more. He'll never have time during the school year to do it, and I'd rather he start now, even if he doesn't choose something, just to start learning more. I don't think he has any idea about all the various paths some majors can lead one. Even pursuing a subject you're interested in isn't necessarily limiting or pigeon-holing--I think it opens up a lot of possibilities if you find an interesting subject to delve into. I want him to see that side and not just the fear side of choosing a major. But we are opposites and I find it hard to say things in a way that communicates to him. I see options and possibilities and adaptability in many things--and he's a solid, concrete-sequential thinker. Plans are not made to be changed! (My mom, daughter, and I drive him nuts in that regard!)

Anyway, she was interesting, just went a slightly different direction than I initially thought. 

• Like 1