Menu

High School in the 1970s What was your kind of music?

Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Eagles, April Wine, Leonard Cohen, the Stones.

Smoky rooms, long haired boys, pedal-steel guitars.

My children have NO clue. They think I've always loved Norah Jones.

My aunt gave me her Leonard Cohen album when I was 14. When I graduated from high school I used one of his poems for my yearbook blurb.

Jim Croce, Elton John, Dr. Hook, and The Commodores -- oh, and The Osmonds!

About the Osmonds (shhhh, don't tell anyone). I, who didn't even know what Rock and Roll was until 1970/71 (sheltered musical childhood), or pop music in general, heard about Donny from friends of mine when I was 11. When I was 12 I bought every single record album of theirs I could find in my village (in BC it's not a town unless there are at least 2000 people living in it). I had posters of Donny taped to my walls by my bed. When my parents built a house and let me choose my own shag carpet colour (I was 12) I'd read that Donny's favourite colour is purple (don't know if this is true) and so had a purple carpet put in my bedroom.

When I was 13, I started gr 8 & high school. I threw out every single Osmond record I had, even Puppy Love, and spent the next ten years mortified with embarrassment every time someone teased me about it (I didn't even start learning to laugh at myself until I was 16). So, after reading this post, I went to Youtube and listened to him sing Puppy Love twice, once in 1972 & once last year. What's funny (or typical) is that not only did I wish I could marry Donny (me and how many other girls?) but I would also listen to Puppy Love and think about a boy in my gr. 6 class with the most fabulous blue eyes I've ever seen in my life. Nothing like being a fickle 12 yo!

My brothers and I would have changed our identities for sure if that make up were available to us back then! LOL...that's how much we loved KISS. Perhaps we have not given KISS enough credit for the creativity as artists...they were combining mime w/ rock-n-roll (grin).

OMG, my sister and I were IN LOVE with Peter Criss! I think that "Beth," which at the time we considered the most romantic song we'd ever heard (which just goes to show what WE knew), might've had SOMETHING to do with the Criss crush. That and the whole Catman thang....

Us then: :001_wub:

Me now mocking us then::smilielol5:

A Criss fan! My brother Bob was Peter Criss. We loved his over 20 minute drum solo on KISS ALIVE I. Wow.

Beth, I hear you callin'

But I can't come home right now.

Me and the boys are playin'

And we just can't find the sound

Just a few more hours, and I'll be right home to you.

I think I hear them callin'

Oh, Beth, what can I do?

Beth, what can I do?

(I typed that from memory..LOL. I will stop now, though I am tempted to finish it out...hmmm, I think I'll go and listen to it on YouTube..LOL)

Thanks for the memory :o)

Blessings.

I love Leonard Cohen!

Did you all see the tribute film "Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man".

Bill

No, is it good? I had a friend, though, who was a Buddhist Monk while at Cornell University when Cohen was there (also a Buddhist Monk, at least at the time.) Just a piece of trivia. I always seem to have some friend who knows/knew some big star somehow.

A Criss fan! My brother Bob was Peter Criss. We loved his over 20 minute drum solo on KISS ALIVE I. Wow.

Beth, I hear you callin'

But I can't come home right now.

Me and the boys are playin'

And we just can't find the sound

Just a few more hours, and I'll be right home to you.

I think I hear them callin'

Oh, Beth, what can I do?

Beth, what can I do?

(I typed that from memory..LOL. I will stop now, though I am tempted to finish it out...hmmm, I think I'll go and listen to it on YouTube..LOL)

Thanks for the memory :o)

Blessings.

Hang on a minute--where's Astrid's power ballad lighter?! :thumbup1: